I joined the many

Take some time off. Collect unemployment. You've earned it. Think about it, but don't obsess. Spend some quality time with those kiddos while you still can. If there was ever a good time of year to be laid off, spring would be my choice, so put that in your "pros" column.

Good luck and God bless.
Paul

Take some time off. Collect unemployment. You've earned it. Think about it, but don't obsess. Spend some quality time with those kiddos while you still can. If there was ever a good time of year to be laid off, spring would be my choice, so put that in your "pros" column.

Good luck and God bless.
Paul

Although I have really entertained that idea, my biggest problem right now is health insurance. My wife is in treatment for some heart problems and the bills run up fast (her nuclear stress test is over $2000). Anything big will easily wipe out all our savings.

Offshore might be nice - you get half the year off!

It wasn't on my list of "things to do" when I got laid off in '03 from a 20 year job, but here I am. And I like it. A lot. Something to think about. Some companies need "PLC guys" only. That might be what you want. Usually those are 14/14 in deep water (far away from the coast!). Who knows... you might not even have to move.

I'm in a Contrologix enhanced environment. Never seen PLCs like this offshore before. I'm the Instrumentation Guy, but I do PLC and Wonderware. Just gotta go outside and work, lol.
A far cry from my office programming job, but it works.

Last edited:
Although ... my biggest problem right now is health insurance. ...

You should be eligible for COBRA, that's were you keep the same insurance via the old company, but you pay the whole premium. It's the law for most companies. If they didn't brief you on this, give HR a call to find out.

You should be eligible for COBRA, that's were you keep the same insurance via the old company, but you pay the whole premium. It's the law for most companies. If they didn't brief you on this, give HR a call to find out.

Our COBRA is over $1000 per month. It definately is alot out of living expenses. One nice thing about COBRA is that you can always get it retroactively (up to a point).

sodonnell - thanks for the leads.

What about TVA? Also sign up for job update on usajob.com for federal stuff.

Sounds like you have a good background. I been laid off twice now and each time I was able to get on my feet again. There seems to be a lot of need in the power sector right now. I have gone from agri processing to assembly factory and now to a local utilties.

Like it or not, we are all free agent these days.

Georgia-Pacific have a plant in Brunswick, GA and they have at least 1 controls openings (working with PLC's and Measurex systems).

Sorry to resurrect my old thread, but I wanted to give an update on what I posted. After 6 weeks, I did accept a local job. It is a slight cut in pay (about 7%), same benefits, and not as long hours.

For anyone interested, I will give a quick synopsis. I wanted to stay in the area so it really limited my options. I also considered going out on my own. I put the self-employed route on hold only because of insurance reasons. I was highly encouraged by many of my previous contacts (including the local AB guys) but I just didn't feel the time was right. Maybe in a couple of years.

I actually interviewed at 4-5 places and got 3 hard offers and 1 come on in and we'll hire you. The 1 come on in offer was a contract job at a local Gov't site. They hire/layoff regularly. The pay was excellent ($60/hr) but no benefits and only 18 month contract. I didn't want to go through all this again so I decided against it.

The other offers were OK, one up to a 25% pay cut, but as I said, all a little less than I was making. I'm pretty sure it has to do with my having 20 years as an engineer. I think I've pretty much topped out (at least around here).

Now to go through all the new guy stuff. Having to prove myself to the techs on the floor, learn policies and procedures, and learn all the new equipment.

I am thankful for the job and all the encouragement from everyone here. I did find that it is actually a very lonely position to be in. All the previous people I worked with had to pick up the slack and had very little contact with me (like I was contagious). I now have a new perspective on what others have gone through.

I will go back to my old login (if I can remember the password) and stop posting under unemployed - even though I sometimes liked being unknown.

Again, thank you to everyone who posted encouragement and kind words. Believe it or not, it did help.

Congrats on finding a new job!

I went through this a few times back between 2002-2006. Sounds like you did well; when I was first laid off I did have to take a 25% pay cut on my next job. I suppose it was really only a 10% cut, as the company that laid me off had cut everyone's pay by 10%-15% for the previous year anyway!

Best thing is you now have a new start and a lot of new opportunities. Focus on that, it'll be a lot of fun spooling up at your new company.

Good luck!

Paul T

Congratulations! It sounds like you found a great job that meets the requirements of what you were looking for. Hope to see you active with your regular account soon!

Unemployment can be a life-changing event, or it can be no big deal.

Which one it is depends on how much you expected it to happen. I have never been very healthy from age 1 and up, so I always expected to become unable to work at some early time. For that reason, I always thought that the very next day might be my last working day. That puts a different light on things. My first day on the job after college, I read all the brochures about the retirement plan and the 401K savings plan to find out the maximum contributions. That is what I contributed from the first day until I had to take early retirement 20 years later. My co-workers called me names like tight-wad, skin-flint, and so on. I did not buy all the man-toys that they had, did not buy things unless I had the cash, did not make debts that enslaved me. I haven't held a regular job since Dec 31, 1992.

But it was no big deal because I had planned for it, expected it, and was ready when it came.

RE Resume ....
Keep it short and consise, send a an equilly short and consise introduction letter experssing interest in the particulalr position you are applying for and intimating why you are a good candidate.
MOST IMPORTANT .....
Supply enough information to spark interest in you.
Leave some questions unamswered so the prospective employer will want to talk to you.

When you get the interview ... Be honest, if you dont have a precise answer to a question ...
"I dont know but would go about finding out like this"
will usually be well accepted.

Remember, what you know is good, how you embrace new situations and technologies is potentally great.
We live in an ever changing world, any employer worth working for knows that.
Shine by being open, enthusiastic and informed about change.
Be the guy to want for the future, because todays guy will be old hat by tomorrow.

Good luck, Al