I know this is way the heck OT, but...........

Donations to the hurricane relief fund!

• I have already donated

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • I am going to donate

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I agree with several others here. There is not any one person or group to blame entirely. Feds- messed up, Governor- messed up, Mayor- messed up. This morning I was willing to say that the least messed up person is the Governor, my opinion changed drastically after listening to the news this afternoon. Seems that the Red Cross (yes I gave) is one of the few groups that was prepared with water, food, and other provisions at the shelters. But was told not to distribute them for fear of encouraging people to get comfortable. I really, really pray that is not true.....but probably is. On another note, I honestly feel that if a person with children chose to stay and weather out the storm, even though they could evacuate, they should be hauled to jail for neglect. Didn't have a car but not handicapped, haul em to jail. I can walk a heck of a long ways carrying my daughter.

So, we've had 136 posts so far in this thread. None of which:

1. Saved a life/helped an affected resident of LA, AL, or MS

2. Protected/Rebuilt property

3. Lowered the water level in New Orleans

4. Reorganized our protective organizations

5. Started the process of rebuilding of an AMERICAN city

I've read the 136 posts. Now I'm going to contribute some more money to the Red Cross because I feel like doing something immediately POSITIVE.

Mark, I think the majority, if not all, of the posters in this thread (as well as other PLCS.net members) have contributed $$$ to the Red Cross, etc. (myself included). Has that not helped?

🍻

-Eric

Eric an obvious oversight on my part and I apologize for the mistake. To those who have beneficially contributed, I didn't mean to overlook--I was trying to make a subtle point.

Ron, glad you're safe and good luck with your efforts. We'll miss you in you absence but what you're doing is noble. Godspeed...

Rube said:
I was trying to make a subtle point.
I understand your point that we should be DOING something rather than just yapping about it, and I agree. I just wanted to point out that I think the posters here are doing BOTH... :nodi:

Actually Mark, when you think about it, some benefit DID come out of the 136 posts. You read them and decided to make another donation to the Red Cross... (y)

I think I'll just go and do that exact same thing myself... Right now!... :)

🍻

-Eric

I have so far donated.....

money, clothing from my children and myself, food, a mattress, 2 air mattresses, time and effort with the evacuees (we had a large picnic for them in Lafayette). So there, Rube!:D Is that good enough for ya? Do you want my spleen? Can I approach my keyboard without a large wave of guilt washing over me? I'd give more, but, I'm too busy wasting time at work trying to get the gas prices to go down. You're just jealous because we have more evacuees than you do. That's it isn't? You martyr!!! BTW, I'm only kidding and it's good to see ya' on here. Are you ready for the San Antonio Saints? Maybe, they'll win now.

Thanks for pushing us, and your help.....

P.S. I also gave blood.(y)

Voltimus said:
Do you want my spleen?

Only when you're done with it...

BTW, I'm only kidding and it's good to see ya' on here. Are you ready for the San Antonio Saints?

That's what Dallas/Ft Worth needs is another San Antonio sports team that whips us regularly!

P.S. I also gave blood.

I signed you up to give more--they said they would come to you. Some gal named Bertha.......

BTW how'd you fare? At least you seem to be safe and that's good. Did you clear your rig?

Last edited:
I said I had to do an essay

During research on my essay concerning Katrina I have found some NOAA documents that may interest you. On Aug 25, 11 P.M. EDT the NOAA strike possibility for New Orleans (within 65 miles) was 7 percent.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2005/prb/al122005.prblty.010.shtml?

Friday August, 26 11:00 A.M. there were 2 models with the main one believing the Florida Gulf Coast would be hit.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2005/dis/al122005.discus.012.shtml?

It technically did not reach Category 4 status until late Thursday August 25 with a decrease in force but they estimated it to be at Category 4 status on landfall. August 26 at 5 P.M. the NOAA had a 15% probability that New Orleans (within 65 miles) would be hit.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2005/prb/al122005.prblty.014.shtml

All the NOAA advisories etc can be found here: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2005/KATRINA.shtml?

I plan to read each and everyone of these but so far I have not seen where the city of New Orleans had much more than a 24 (maybe 36) hour warning that it would definitely be hit.

In general I read the NOAA (using their models) were expecting it to be more concentrated in the Mobile, AL and Mississippi Gulf Coast.

I thought this might be of interest to a few.

Thanks for those links Ron. I haven't read them all yet, but I didn't see any sign of the one that Opera Ghost cited. I also noticed that the alerts and bulletins from the NOAA archive were timestamped on the hour, while the one cited by OG (and MSNBC and elsewhere) was timestamped 10:11 AM. It appears more and more likely to this observer that the 10:11 'alert' is bogus.

Isn't the reality bad enough without having to make stuff up about it?

Another interesting article by the NY times.

Political Issues Snarled Plans for Military Help After Storm

If you have to register use www.bugmenot.com

Also in breaking news: the head of FEMA has been removed from overseeing the relief effort.

In the past FEMA has been kind of a misnomer. Most disasters have been handled by the local officials and FEMA is the one who come in later in distributes checks.

In doing the role that most people envision for it, it appears to have failed.

Last edited:
So, FEMA 'Brown's Nose' is out of the loop (political damage control) and a US Coast Guard admiral who went through 9-11 will help direct - - - Mike got his wish

And interestingly the Wal-Mart corp three months ago (so I heard on NPR) began stockpiling 120 or 160 tractor trailers with water - Just back up the tractor and haul. Plus canned foods, ETC.

Amazing!, not part of their core business, and yet.

Sounds to me like Wal-Mart has a better infrastructure and more capable leadership than our 'government's' horse breeders and other manure cultivator/generator/spreaders.

Perhaps they are snooping this forum to learn (y)

Rod

In the past FEMA has been kind of a misnomer. Most disasters have been handled by the local officials and FEMA is the one who come in later in distributes checks.
Rick, Right on target! Now we are getting to the heart of the problem. When I worked for FEMA, I saw that it was: staffed at the top by career government burreacrats, who have to figure out which way the wind is blowing before making a phone call, and un-staffed on the bottom end, that is, the actual workers are only contractors (as I was), who work for FEMA on a job-by-job basis. In other words, the public has this perception of FEMA as a johnny-on-the-spot group with thousands of highly trained technical helpers. In truth, many of the contract workers are retired ex-government engineers, and practically all are contractors working by the job and by the hour. There is one such group called National Emergency Assistance (NEA), Incorporated. These guys are called when FEMA has a job (disaster). If they don't like the working environment (no luxury hotels or restaurants still open in the area), then they can turn the job down and refuse to send workers. When this happens, FEMA is left with no people on the ground, so nothing happens.

Most of us older guys know better than to rely on the government for help, in good times or bad. The only thing our government has proven efficient at doing is providing a national army. For everthing else, we must, as usual, rely on ourselves.

When FEMA does show up, the contract workers employed by FEMA are trained to "look good, but carry a tight purse". In other words, they must appear to be handing out money by the basketful, but in truth be as stingy as Scrooge. A typical FEMA interview (I did a bunch) goes like this:

FEMA: "Mrs. Smith, before I can have a check sent to you, I must have your permanent mailing address".

Mrs. Smith: "You mean all I can get is a check! My bank done washed away. My house washed away. I don't have no address either. I don't need no check, mon. I need cash!"

FEMA: "I am very sorry, Mrs. Smith. I am sure you understand that I have to abid by the rules. We are not authorized to give out cash. Do you have a FAX number where you could be reached?"

Mrs. Smith: "I ain't never had no fax number".

FEMA: "What about an Internet address?"

Mrs. Smith: "What is that?"

FEMA: "I am terribly sorry, Mrs. Smith. I am afraid you will have to wait until you get a permanent address. Then you should re-apply to FEMA. I am sure we can help you then" (yes, if you can find a FEMA person. By the time you get an address, we will all be gone on to the next job in another state).

Last edited:
Lancie that is wrong, so wrong it is NOT funny. You are not the only one that has been around for many years and dealt with disasters etc.