I know this is way the heck OT, but...........

Donations to the hurricane relief fund!

• I have already donated

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • I am going to donate

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Leadfoot said:
Speaking of name changes, there is rumors that the Louisiana state capital may have its name changed to "NEW ROUGE" or "BATON ORLEANS" so all of the new residents truly feel at home.

Tranlated to English that would be "New Red", or "Stick Orleans"; hardly makes sense to name a town after an adjective...

Baton Rouge is "Red Stick". I heard somewhere years ago that various landings were marked by poles painted various colors for the illiterate traders moving their wares down the river. Baton Rouge was marked with a red pole, (or stick) & the name stuck. Somehow St. Louis & New Orleans escaped the same fate, even though they were marked in similar fashion.

Edit: Wikipedia has a differnet story on the name:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baton_Rouge,_Louisiana#Establishment

Last edited: