I need suggestions for getting into programming

Keed

Newbie here fresh today; I am going to start a certificate plc programming course in the new year, and was looking for some pointers on my next steps to take for being a full time PLC programmer...I have some electrical background and self learning online, and have been using a simulation program for programming in the AB language so far. thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

There are very few jobs where all you do is write PLC code. In fact, I can't imagine why anybody would want such a job. A PLC is one of many tools available for automating a machine or process. You will also need a good understanding of the rest of the tools. Things like limit switches, proximity switches, photoswitches, solenoid valves for both pneumatic and hydraulic systems, variable speed drives, motion control, AC induction motors, DC motors, stepper motors,....
The list goes on and on and gets longer with every passing year.

The good news is that this site has members with years of experience in all facets of automation. More important, the members are willing to share their knowledge with people who are interested in learning it. Be warned though. We don't have much patience with people who only want to use us to get a good grade on their next test or to get their homework done for them. By the nature of your post, I don't think you're one of those.

Keed,

Keep practicing on that simulator program until you can solve any type of ladder logic problem.

Buy a small cheap PLC and wire it up to some pushbuttons, lights, or other devices. Maybe buy a couple of proximity switches (or borrow some from your employer). There is nothing like the real things to practice on.

Thanks for your replies; I have been involved within projects of developing new systems in dairy processing,(sterilization/pasteurization) and do have a general knowledge of the switches, soleniod valves, sensors, VFD's, etc, but my final goal I would like to achieve is to be able to develop systems more toward the programming end from start to finish. The logixpro simulator has been very helpful so far.

Developing systems from start to finish is difficult to learn, mainly because of the differences between equipment brands and models, and the options change almost every year.

Starting out, you have to pick one model of one locally popular PLC brand and try to learn that one. Once you master it, then you can start to think about another model.

Buy a small cheap PLC and wire it up to some pushbuttons, lights, or other devices. Maybe buy a couple of proximity switches (or borrow some from your employer). There is nothing like the real things to practice on.

To amplify Lancie1's suggestion, you can buy a pre-wired AB MicroLogix 1000 to practice on here:
http://www.plctrainer.net/PLCTrainers.htm
The site has a link to the AB website where you can download the free version of RSLogix for the ML1000. You can also buy some machinery simulations to go along with the PLC at the same place.
http://www.plctrainer.net/HMISimulators.htm

Full disclosure: I am the author of the simulation products at that site, so I have a stake in the transaction.