I need your feedback on Hardware/Software Purchase

tiopaeng

I'm a newbie on PLC's and this will be my first project and considering buying an AB 1764LRP ML 1500 RS-232 Processor and a AB 2711PT6C5A 6" color touch display using Factory Talk Studio for Machine Edition and RSLogix 500.

Input: Vacuum, Pressure and Heat transducer 4-20ma.

Question: I don't know if the above hardware/software will be good for this project?

The project is to control heat, pressure and time duration for each curing step. Some parameters need to be entered for every job.

Example:
Step #1
a. pressure = 90psi
b. temperature = 0
c. time = 5 mins
Step #2
a. pressure = 90psi
b. temperature = 300 deg
c. time = 90 mins
Step #3
a. pressure = 90psi
b. temperature = 180 deg
c. time = 20 mins
Step #4
a. pressure = 0psi
b. temperature = 0 deg
c. time = 20 mins

Cycle complete

Appreciate all feedbacks,
Thanks TioPaeng

I would suggest getting in touch with your local AB distributor. Their PLC salesperson should be willing to sit down with you and thoroughly discuss your needs and options. I know that some people prefer not to deal with salesmen because they feel they are trying to sell you things you don't need. In the worst cases, that reputation may be deserved. Still, building a good relationship with a distributor is a smart thing to do. You can get to a point where the distributor knows as much about your business as he does about his product line. When you get to that point, you stand a better chance of consistently selecting the right product for the project.

While you're still building that relationship, forums like this can be extremely helpful. You get a bill of materials from your local distributor and you post it here saying, "Here is what I want to do. Here is what the local distributor said I need. Did he come up with the best choice?"

I actually called my local AB distributor and one recommended the AB 1764LRP ML 1500 RS-232 Processor and the other the ML1100 which has the built-in ethernet. This is my first project and I just don't want to fail on the hardware and the choice software for the touch display.

Thanks for the responses.
TioPaeng

I am not familiar with Factory Talk Studio. Does it allow to program the mentioned display? If no, you will need PanelBuilder32.
And it is still unclear how you will interface 4-20mA with the PLC, and how many of them. This looks a key question for your project.
Also be aware that ML1500 does not feature online editing, on other hand it allows much more extension modules than ML1100, features double high-speed capabilities and may be programmed with older versions of RSLogix.

Last edited: