Installing RS Logix 20.04 - Need feedback

alive15

Good Morning,

I want to install RS Logix 5000 v.20.04 on a laptop that has 20.01 on it already. I've figured out that I do not need to update the firmware on the PLC. Has anyone had any success or found any difficulties installing 20.04 and found any problems? Can you go online with any program that is 20.01 and 20.03? I've always had issues with the minor revision problems, but does 20.04 truly work? Thanks.

Good Morning,

I want to install RS Logix 5000 v.20.04 on a laptop that has 20.01 on it already.

This is not a valid approach; you will have to first uninstall RSL5K v.20.01, reboot and then install v.20.04. Two installs of the same major RSL5K/Studio5K v.20 or v.21 cannot coexist on the same PC.

As for CPU firmware, RSL5K v.20.04 will connect to any minor Rev.20 controller so you don't have to worry about 'matching minors' anymore.

This is not a valid approach; you will have to first uninstall RSL5K v.20.01, reboot and then install v.20.04. Two installs of the same major RSL5K/Studio5K v.20 or v.21 cannot coexist on the same PC.

As for CPU firmware, RSL5K v.20.04 will connect to any minor Rev.20 controller so you don't have to worry about 'matching minors' anymore.

Cool, I see what you mean. On the laptop, I have various versions installed, so I'll just uninstall the 20.01 first, reboot the PC, and then install the 20.04. Since I do not have v. 21 of Studio 5000, then I won't have to worry about that.

Is there anything else I should consider? Otherwise, I feel pretty confident in installing 20.04 now.

Is there anything else I should consider? Otherwise, I feel pretty confident in installing 20.04 now.

Nope; you're good to go with regard to any minor Rev.20 controllers...

As for Rev.21 there is no 'minor revision/version fix' and it appears it will never be one...:D...I usually update the 21 firmware to Rev.24 if given a choice and feasible...

Nope; you're good to go with regard to any minor Rev.20 controllers...

As for Rev.21 there is no 'minor revision/version fix' and it appears it will never be one...:D...I usually update the 21 firmware to Rev.24 if given a choice and feasible...

I've never had the chance to work with v21. What were the main issues with that one? Was it really buggy?

I've never had the chance to work with v21. What were the main issues with that one? Was it really buggy?

Not really, however, it carries the same 'original' issues as the Level 20 firmware/software combo.

Studio5000/Logix Designer v.21 minor still needs to match the CPU firmware minor revision; there is no available 21 minor software to connect to any minor 21 firmware (as implemented with v.20.04); moreover, only one Studio5K v.21 install could be present on any given machine.

Not really, however, it carries the same 'original' issues as the Level 20 firmware/software combo.

Studio5000/Logix Designer v.21 minor still needs to match the CPU firmware minor revision; there is no available 21 minor software to connect to any minor 21 firmware (as implemented with v.20.04); moreover, only one Studio5K v.21 install could be present on any given machine.

We can try to avoid v21 then. Thanks for all the help and information bud.

Installing 20.04 (I think there is now a 20.05 too) will automatically uninstall 20.01. No need to remove it yourself. It will read any version 20.xx controller firmware.

Version 20 is the last version to support many older controllers. Version 21 does not support older controllers like the 1756-L6x. Version 21 is a major update that adds significant new features. The biggest among those is probably the ability to store documentation in the controller.

But, if you are using version 20 and it works for you, stick with it.

OG