Ideas on access control for Redlion touchscreens

wutnots

Im working on a project where I really dont want to have to maintain a database/file of users and passwords for all the plant individuals in order to allow them to login to this equipment. Just a hassle and I dont want calls in middle of the night because a new temporary employee is working and I didnt know about it.
I created an array of users and passwords and allow them to manually enter a new user ID, which corresponds with their timecard badge number, and password if they arent in the system.
I wanted to read their badge with a RS232 or ethernet proximity card reader. That eliminates any password issues, creating new users, etc.
Has anyone else done something similiar to this for security/accountability reasons or know of a good reader to use? Thanks for any input.

As long as the card reader has an ASCII output we can read the data in through a program. You can then parse the data in the program to tags where you can do with the data whatever you want.

Thanks
Jeremy

Just remember that if you control this file, you now control who can log in to the machine - this adds to your burden ("hey, we just hired this new guy, can you put him in...)

Also, I dont know about your plant, but unless management will help you crack down on this stuff - people WILL share passwords/wire them on sticky notes etc

Make sure you reserve yourself a 2nd, super secret god password or access method - protect that and keep it handy just in case everything goes haywire and all the accounts get messed up.

Sorry I can't help with hand scanners. At my last .com we used only SICK stuff, which was great quality, but I'm not sure if they offer what you want, or if their pricing is in line (their 800-phone support was excellent....5 years ago :)

-John

Im pretty proficient in using RS232 and ethernet comms for non standard devices such as scanners, RFID readers, etc. I have been using a Leuze Wireless Bluetooth Handheld Scanner alot lately in my projects because I can scan something with it remotely and then be able to automatically execute code and programs based on the scanned data. I then display this on a PFM for indication to the operators so that they know whats going on and that the data has been received.

So, I want to be able to read the data from a proximity card, but just wondering if anyone has used a specific device. I found one that acts like a keyboard input, but thats not what I want. If I can get it to read a proximity access card, theres no need for a password, theres no ability to enter a invalid card number like there is with a USB type keyboard input, and it makes it harder to BS me as to who is logging in. Since this card is used for everyones timeclock, I tend to think no one is sharing it.

I save a file for every transaction that occurs in the process, as well as all users and passwords. These users and passwords are the local accounts, not the redlion Security accounts you add with the Crimson file. So, I can always access the user accounts.