OT: Test Cell VFD Ideas

Gadelric

Wizards,

With all the extra downtime this year, I have started guiding the newer maint staff through a test cell build.

It has been quite entertaining to see the lights turn on in their heads as they build this cell. Nothing beats hands on learning.

One of the new guys asked about the difference between VFD and just using motor starters for everything, but went all deer in the headlights when I started talking about it.

I would like to put together something for their mechanical minds to wrap around, and then use the set up to help them with troubleshooting vfds and motor starters.

I found an old PF4 in the bone yard, not sure if it even works.
I also pulled a bunch of motor starters out of old equipment.
Still need to find/make something to control.

Has anyone put together a set up similar to what I am wanting to do?
Any advice on some of the shortcomings of your set up?

I have plenty of time to help the guys build this, but I don't have any available capital for "new parts", everything will have to be acquired from the bone yard.

Thanks in advance,

Gad

What kind of simple machine can you scrounge together in your bone yard? A pump? A fan? A conveyor? If you can do a conveyor, make a setup in which the motor can be started and stopped with contactors, then switched to being controlled by a VFD (hint, it will require output isolation contactors). Then put bottles on the conveyor and show the difference in stopping and starting with a VFD vs stopping and starting with a starter. If you have a pump, set up a recirculating tank and pipe system with a valve to control flow, then use a power meter of some sort to show how much energy is saved in using the pump speed to control flow vs using the valve. If you have a fan and can make a damper for flow control, do the same kind of thing; show energy difference in controlling with the VFD vs controlling with the damper.

Just remember, adding speed control is generally about EITHER saving energy (in centrifugal pumps or fans) when FLOW CONTROL is required, or improving the PROCESS of moving something. If an application doesn't require either of those aspects, don't use a VFD.