iFix Scada

Well, let's break it down a bit. Once modbus data gets to the SCADA Server (PC1), the data is then serves out by the SCADA server and there is no more Modbus involvement.

An analogy is a weather station hooked up to a webserver. When you check the weather online you are not talking to the weather station directly but rather the webserver through Ethernet.

My guess, I emphasis this is a guess only, at one time the built-in ethernet went dead on PC2, so they bought a USB Etherent adopter then it went dead or something. I would concentrate on getting the ethernet work between the two PCs.

Even if you lose everything on PC2, the good news is that you can build a client off the server files, in which case just get a new PC.

I really appreciate your help today Harryting, you've helped me at least get on some sort of track for what to look for, I was incorrect about one thing. It is not an Ethernet to usb, its a Ethernet coming out of a wall into a Ethernet to 9pin, attachted to 9pin to usb adapter. I will do more research and see if I can't find a local GE tech or certified company to come take a look, honestly I would prefer an on site visit, because although I'm familiar with automation, I'm use to tcp/ip over Modbus, and networking with radios. new to iFix really, learning a bunch in a month.

I've been there before. I have four days off this week ;)

Really though, are you giving up on this, or do you now have both restores working?

Not giving up, but its a headache I'm still trying to figure out how to get this thing to connect and not a word from GE, not an email, not anything. I would like someone to do an on site visit but we will see. in the mean time I am open for suggestion, I did a restore using the working units backup, but no luck...

Well, if you want to try a few things in the meantime, concentrate on getting the network going between the two PC. I'm assuming you got basic networking knowledge but if not, let us know and we can give more detailed steps. With the network cable going in existing infrastructure, you might want to check with your IT department before messing too much with it.

- what does ipconfig show on each machine?

- Check the host file on both machines, there should be IP address pointers to itself and the other machine.

- If the machines are close enough, string a network cable between them (replacing the existing ethernet cable)

- check the activity light on the network adopter, any blinking?

If you are new to networking, you can google ipconfig and host file for more info.

I have a degree in IT and 9 years networking experience, but best and shortest way to explain this setup is the NIC on the computer has not and is not being used. it essentially communicates going from ethernet chord to ethernet/serial adapter, then serial/usb adapter. set up is the same on the working unit. no IP in ipconfig on either. The SCU on the working unit is set up with MB1 and no network support, i have made no changes to this unit at all. The non working unit is currently the same. I'm curious if i need to set up network support and if there is any documentation to explain to me what is what in those settings as far as primary and secondary node. also the units are in two different buildings roughly 50 yards apart.

I have a degree in IT and 9 years networking experience, but best and shortest way to explain this setup is the NIC on the computer has not and is not being used. it essentially communicates going from ethernet chord to ethernet/serial adapter, then serial/usb adapter. set up is the same on the working unit. no IP in ipconfig on either. The SCU on the working unit is set up with MB1 and no network support, i have made no changes to this unit at all. The non working unit is currently the same. I'm curious if i need to set up network support and if there is any documentation to explain to me what is what in those settings as far as primary and secondary node. also the units are in two different buildings roughly 50 yards apart.
I did not read all the other posts, sorry if this has been mentioned.
Given this, I suggest that you:
~ Verify that the USB to Serial adapter was not moved to a different USB port causing it to take on a different COM port number in the OS.
~ Verify that the USB to Serial device is still operating properly.

I doubt that serial communications in an iFix project has any network configuration needed.

Last edited:
Thank you Russ,
I did try a different port but verified that correct port was placed in the MB1 settings of the SCU. originally it was COM port 10 now its Com port 5. but I will make sure that the adpater is still working properly and maybe try another one.

Oh Rus you're a genius I should have replaced the usb adapter in its original port when i used the restore of the back up of the working PC. Now only problem is, it is polling slow and only keeping like a quarter of the data at a time.

Okie dokie issue resolved, I replaced the adpater from serial to USB and my connection is back running faster and polling all the information. Thank you everyone for your help, it is very much appreciated!🍻