IMC S Class / GML Commander

lostcontrol

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

I have a machine that has IMC controller, with 3-axis's connected.
I have managed to upload the program, but this has all come back as a script.
Is there a way to convert this to a diagram, for viewing purposes?

I can post the script as a text file if someone can convert it? We are thinking that we may want at some stage to upgrade this machine to a modern architecture, but in the interim, would like to be able to make some minor modifications, to improve alarming etc.

Thanks

lostcontrol said:
I have a machine that has IMC controller, with 3-axis's connected.
I have managed to upload the program, but this has all come back as a script.
That is a good thing to have. When you download a diagram, it gets translated to script and that is all the controller really understands. Having the script is only one third of what you need to restore the controller if it must be replaced. You also need to upload the setups and user variables. (My terminology is fading and may be inaccurate, it's been many years since I worked with these.)

lostcontrol said:
Is there a way to convert this to a diagram, for viewing purposes?
How much time do you have? You would have to find documentation on all the script codes in order to do this accurately.

You are much better off starting with the original diagram, or even one that is "close" to accurate. If you have a spare controller you can work with, you can download the diagram, upload the resulting script, and then do a compare with the one you uploaded from the running machine (notepad++ is good for this).

lostcontrol said:
I can post the script as a text file if someone can convert it? We are thinking that we may want at some stage to upgrade this machine to a modern architecture, but in the interim, would like to be able to make some minor modifications, to improve alarming etc.

Thanks
The S-Class/1394 stuff was originally made by Creonics. I used to work with their Max Controllers which used the same script language that has evolved a little since A/B bought them out. The Max controllers used a dos based program called accel. If you can find and accel manual (perhaps from an a/b website or motion guru), then you can do a lot of translation.

Just make sure you save all of the axis configuration information, the dynamics/gains, the user variables, and the script before you make any changes. You should be able to download the script without affecting the other stuff, but if there's a corruption or other "uh-oh" in the process, you may need everything to get the machine running correctly.

Using GML, you can monitor the axes setup values while online, but be very careful, as it is possible to be looking at offline information. You have to force the controller to send you the current info, and there's a little green checkbox that will appear when you have matching data.

I think I posted some info about that on this forum years ago. I will see if I can find a link.

Paul

Hi,

We had a motherboard fail on this machine earlier this week, so I am back into learning how the GML structure works.

I think I understand, but just to be sure...
1. The left hand pane contains modules (or program sections)
2. These sections can be organised so that they are meaningful, and contain sub-sections.
3. Program execution is dictated by the master module, which defines the order of execution of each section
4. As sections are executed, they execute whatever code/functions as they are configured.
5. Now, do the modules execute as a scan, or all independently? I think it is a multi-tasking environment..

So in the attached/below (?) image, when the IMC powers up, it does the following:
1. Checks the DH485 status
2. Enables the Aux Power Module (is this once only, or repeat)
3. Initialisation
4. Read Program & Reset System
5. MotorSetup & CamTable
6. Task 1 Enabled (Main Module executes repeatedly)
7. Task 2 Enabled ( Interface executes repeatedly)
8. And so on for Tasks 3, 4 etc

Is my understanding correct?

IMC.PNG

lost_control said:
1. The left hand pane contains modules (or program sections)

Yes. Are you running commander 4.03? What firmware (ICODE?) is your controller?

lost_control said:
2. These sections can be organised so that they are meaningful, and contain sub-sections.

Yes.

lost_control said:
3. Program execution is dictated by the master module, which defines the order of execution of each section

Yes

lost_control said:
4. As sections are executed, they execute whatever code/functions as they are configured.
Yes.

lost_control said:
5. Now, do the modules execute as a scan, or all independently? I think it is a multi-tasking environment..
Yes.

The task control blocks in your diagram stop and start tasks. Multi-tasking is common. Once a new task starts, it is executed in parallel with any other running tasks. A task control block can also end a task, and i don't recall the other options, but there are at least a couple.

Double click on your task control blocks and (working purely from memory here...) look for the task control number, and the options on the dialog.

It is very important to get all the axis configuration information and the drive tuning gains, and remember that GML Commander can display offline values for those even while connected unless you upload them from the controller.

It looks like someone got a little carried away with multi-tasking on your machine.

It is not uncommon to see a task for each axis, or a task for the main loop, and several other parallel tasks that handle power up initialization in parallel, but there are a lot of different styles.

It looks like you have photocell registration as a parallel task. That is not uncommon, but is typically a task that is switched into action automatically using the registration input and setting up a registration event.

It all depends on the application and the programmer. I am curious what this machine does, and the size and type of each axis.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Also, you can print a report (preferrably to .pdf) and get a paper copy of the whole diagram with each section exploded. IIRC, the print setup has some issues, I think there's a preview and a page layout line in the diagram window that you can use to align the diagram to the sheet size.

If you make a pdf of it, that would be a good emergency hard copy of the logic, and you'd only need to recreate the axes configs and dynamics along with user variables and communications in order to prepare to upgrade the system. The S-Class controllers with other peoples' drives was a lot more reliable than the 1394s. I worked with a lot of both types, and I wasn't surprised when the 1394s hit the silver list. They were plagued.

I think I still have a copy of 4.03 somehwhere, so if you zip and attach the gml file, I can help you understand it even easier.

Software for IMC S-class

I am looking for software/cable for IMC S-class 4100-234-RL.
I contacted the local distributor,very little help.