Importing RSLogix Tags into RSView Studio

I have a problem. Yes, I have used the search function and I found some threads that provided answers to some of my problems. I have RSView Studio ME version 4.00 and RSLogix 5K version 19. The trouble is that this version of RSView does not give me the option of directly importing tags from RSLogix - it is not an option on the pulldown menu. Therefore (with knowledge gained from this forum) I resorted to making a fake controller and pointing the offline file to the .ACD file. Though my computer is horribly slow, it does eventually make some of the tags available in the offline file, however it only shows timers, arrays, and a few double integers; the booleans are missing. Is this a version compatibility issue?

Furthermore, even I were to get the RSView program 100% finished, would it even be compatible with the latest version of a PanelView + 600?

Life would be so much easier if I had all the updated versions of all the software on all the machines that I use, but this is not the reality that my boss chooses to live in.

There is no import for the 5000. As you found, if you setup a Device Shortcut with an offline file, you can browse for the tags you need.

As you use the Tag Browser window, when you click on the word "Offline" then in the window to the right you will see all of your tags that are not structures (atomic tags). So BOOL, DINT, REAL will all show up by clicking right on the word "Offline".

If you click the "+" symbol next to the word "Offline" you will not see those tags but will instead see folders for Program Tags and for tags that are structures (such as TIMER, COUNTER, and arrays as you mentioned).

If you click on the specific Program folders (if you have them) you will see the same thing. All atomic tags will appear. Clicking the "+" next to the Program folder will display all structures within that program.

Unfortunately, the tag browser will not let you browse through a DINT tag to each individual BOOL within. This can be an issue if for example you try to point to a digital input or output tag. It would let you point to "Local:4:O.Data" but it would not let you point to "Local:4:O.Data.4". You would have to select the Data word and then manually add the ".4" at the end.

As for your PV+ terminal. The major firmware version of the PanelView terminal must be less than or equal to your software version. For example if you are using ver 4 software, then your PanelView could be version 4.xx or version 3.xx and you would be ok. If your PanelView were say version 5.xx, then your software would need to be upgraded, or your PanelView would have to be downgraded.

Hope that helps,

OG

Last edited:
Thanks Operaghost!!! Now I have all the tags available for selection. I guess the only thing left for me to do is make sure that I replace the "fake controller" part of the tagname with the ip address of the plc - I'll look that part up.

No need to replace anything.

When you determine the actual PLC you want to talk with, just change the shortcut from the "fake" PLC to the "real" PLC. No tags have to be changed as long as the shortcut name doesn't change.

OG

what about the same scenario for RSL500 when i do an application in RSV ME i have to connect to the controller i wanted to make the application for then create the shortcut to the online device and then i can view the data files in the tag browser, i just create one in the tag browser for say B3:0/0 and then i can go offline and i just copy and paste and edit the B3:0/0 to say N7:1 or what ever i need, there must be a better way to do it, ive tried to look at importing the RSS file but it doesnt let me.

Open the HMI Tags editor and look for the Browse Database icon. From there you can import SLC 500 and PLC-5 addresses as HMI tags. The Symbol names used in RSLogix become the tag names.

OG

cheers OP, one thing i dont seam to be able to do is get the tag names which i use in my RSS file to be the actual tag name it just becomes the description any suggestions, i tried ticking the different boxes but still nothing

In RSLogix are you using symbols? Symbols will become tag names. Descriptions will only be imported as descriptions.

Symbols in RSLogix max out at 20 characters, cannot have spaces and are displayed in all capital letters with a green background. The color can be changed though.

Descriptions on the other hand can be much longer, any characters, mix of upper and lower case and are displayed with a yellow background. Again, those colors are configurable.

OG