Improving CMore HMI update speed

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have two 12" CMore panels and six 6" Cmore panels on our industrial Ethernet network. There are also three x SLC 5/05s (one serves as a DH-485 pass-through for three x SLC 5/03s), three x Micrologix 1100s (one serves as a MODBUS master pass-through) and nine Micrologix 1200s (connected via NET-ENI).

The 12" panels have numeric displays that read values from as many as seven floating-point registers and display them on the same screen. The register that increments the fastest runs at just under 3 Hz (three times a second). The problem I'm facing is that the numeric display for this register doesn't update nearly as fast as the register in the PLC does. Currently, it updates about every 2.5 to 3 seconds. Poll speed is set to "0", which should force an update as soon as it's possible. I'm thinking the problem is that all my CMore panels connect directly to the SLC 5/05 where the floating point registers exist. However, before I change the configuration of the other panels to connect through one of the 12" panels, I'd like to have an opinion as to whether or not this configuration change will make an appreciable difference in update speed. I'd be happy with an update every second, but three or more times a second would be sweet.

I should note that the 6" panels have very little comunication with the PLC I'm reading the floating point registers from. Basically, they read one "N" register and write a "B" register once to latch a contact closed.

There is some MSG (messaging) between some of the processors on the network, but not a lot. For the most part, only a word or two is read on each message. The PLC that holds the floating point registers reads a single word from two other SLC 5/05's every second.

No communication errors occur when monitoring the network on RSLinx, and I inserted counters for each of the MSG instructions on every processor to count time-outs or errors - not a single error in 24 hours. I'm thinking network traffic isn't an issue.

Has anyone had success in improving update speed on a similar network? Care to offer some advice? I'd appreciate any input on this problem.

Last edited: