Induction Motor On/Off control using PLC

Dhillis

I have an Induction Motor (415V, 3 Phase, 0.37Kw, 1440 rpm, 1.4Amps, PF: 0.670, Connection: STAR, Harmonic make) which is used to run a Belt Conveyor. Is there any problem if i implement simple On/Off control to start and stop the conveyor at regular intervals. The conveyor should be made On and Off according to the feedback from a photoelectric sensor. According to the machine design they haven't used any VFD. Please give me an answer..Thanks in Advance.

In a star connection and so small power i'd say no. Just use a contactor that would be controlled with aux mini relay or you can use low consumption contactors like schneider BL series.

A simple PLC controlled relay to start and stop motor would be simplest and least expensive.

The only concern would be motor heating from frequent starts n stops. Every 10 second be careful, 10 minute no problem.

Dan Bentler

I am definitely using a contactor..But what is a pneumatic clutch..and what advantages can i get if i use a VFD in the design..and how?

A pneumatic clutch uses air to engage and disengage motor from whatever it is moving, such as a belt or something.
For your application, that would work or something like an electric clutch such as on an automotive A/C compressor.
The motor should run all the time. Starting and stopping it rapidly will not work well.

Before we all get too far down the "It Won't Work" road, we need to find out the start/stop rate. How many starts per minute or per hour? That will determine whether it will work successfully or will burn out the starter contacts.