Industrial HMI recommendations

allscott

I am looking for an industrial computer with a touchscreen. Here's what I need;

- 8-10" screen.

- Capable of running XP pro with a small VB application on top.

- Rated for Nema 12.

- Ethernet port

I know there are dozens of manufacturers of these so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend one. We are going to be installing 12 of these and I want to make sure I make a good selection up front.

thanks

allscott said:
I am looking for an industrial computer with a touchscreen. Here's what I need;

- 8-10" screen.

- Capable of running XP pro with a small VB application on top.

- Rated for Nema 12.

- Ethernet port

I know there are dozens of manufacturers of these so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend one. We are going to be installing 12 of these and I want to make sure I make a good selection up front.

thanks

http://www.aristaipc.com/panel_pc_lcd.htm

We have used these touch PCs on the last 2 WonderWare jobs. They are not bad, LCD resolution is a bit fuzzy and but they are good price. Of course only catch is finding someone in Canada to sell them.

Ian

We used ELO industrial VGA touchscreens with el cheapo keyboards and mice. We had an amplifier/adapter that combined the kb, mouse and vga signals into a single 50' cable which ran back to the main electrical enclosure. We put standard Dell PCs in the main electrical panel with some hand fab'd brackets right on the back panel below the PLC racks. We added a removable hard drive slot to the base PC. We put a UPS in there too.

We figured at $500 ea. for plain jane Dell computers as opposed to $2000 and up for "industrialized" PCs, we could afford to keep a few spares, but they were very reliable.

Of nineteen machines that had this setup I only know of a couple of maintenance issues that were resolved early. They make those things so easy to work on now, that any maintenace is quick and easy.

We use dells when there is a control room but if the computer will be mounted in an enclosure in the plant we try to use and industrial computer that has a solid state hard drive. We have had a real good success rate with them so far.

Captec

Allscott,

Just did a bit of work with these guys. Top notch. Not sure where you are in Canada but their North American office is based out of Kitchener ON. Ask for Jeff. He helped me out a lot.

[email protected]

CAPTEC AMERICAS INC
675 Queen Street South,
220 Woodside Business Centre,
Kitchener, ON, N2M 1A1
CANADA

Tel: (519) 576-3336 Fax: (519) 576-3992
http://www.captecamericas.com

The last 5 or 6 were ab versa views. I remember seeing some posts about them overheating a couple years ago but I fortunately never ran into that problem. (the panels we mount them in have an a/c)