Install RsLogix 500 - activation file.

Oliver Micka

Yesterday i bought notebook hp compaq 6910p (its a old but great machine ) which used WinXp a Pcmcia slot for my 1784-pcmk/b card.
I need install RsLogix 500 and RsLinx in to the Ntb.
Rslinx and RsLogix was installed succesfull but i have problem activated rslogix. When i open RsLogix500 this program showed me problem: FATAL ERROR!
THE COPY PROTECTION LICENSE FOR THE APPLICATION COULD NOT BE ACQUIRED.
ERROR: 2

At the same times was open program EwMove.
This program it for move activation file.
So i have question,, How can i created activation file?
I have a originall cd RsLinx classic and RsLogix500.
Regards..

Oliver Micka said:
...I have a originall cd RsLinx classic and RsLogix500...

What version is your RSLogix 500 software?

Do you know if you are using an older EVRSI Master Disk Activation or a newer FactoryTalk Activation?

Regards,
George

Your RSLogix 500 v6.20 does not support the newer FactoryTalk Activation. It requires the older EVRSI Master Disk Activation, which is floppy disk based.

Do you have a floppy disk along with the installation CD that says "Master Disk" on a "Rockwell Software" sticker?

If not...

Where did you get the installation CD?

Did you or your company purchase it originally?

Regards,
George

Attached is the cut-off point for EVRSI and FactoryTalk Activation support for RSLogix 500 and a sample image of a Master Disk...

RSLogix500_EVRSI_Master_Disk.png

Last edited:
look for hidden file

No files ? look for hidden files but should be an evmove.exe file.

Put floppy in and point ewmove to it.

Last edited:
"...look for hidden files..."

Let's expand a little on that...

In Windows XP...

Click Start>My Computer>Tools>Folder Options...

To show Hidden Files and Folders, click on the "View" tab on the "Folder Options" window...

Scroll down on the "Advanced settings" until you see a radio button that says "Show hidden files and folders" and then click on it...

Also uncheck the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" to show Hidden System Files and Folders...

XP_Hidden_Files_and_Folders.jpg

Next problem..
Activation File Corrupt - Invalid File Attributes.

So i have a next question.. I have a old laptop which has a lot of problems ( bad battery, LCD ).On this laptop has installed RsLogix 5, 500 and 5000.
My question is: It is possible move license from this old laptop into my new laptop ?

neither one laptop doesn´t have floppy disk -- it possible use for move licensce USB disk.. ?

regards

If you receive any errors while attempting an EvMove, such as your corruption error, then the license file is most likely corrupted.

This usually takes an intervention from Rockwell to recover the license...

8953 - Move Activations from Floppy to Hard Drive Using EvMove
Access Level: Everyone

If you have a working EVRSI Master Disk activation license on another machine, but do not have floppy drives available to transfer to another machine, then yes, there is a way to use a USB flash drive for the transfer. Rockwell released a special version of EvMove which will recognize USB flash drives as a valid transfer method...

31319 - Move Master Disk Activations with EVRSI and a Flash Drive

Regards,
George

Yes, that's correct. Can you access the Knowledgebase article?

The CF reference was to its initial launch and support for CompactFlash cards, but it will also recognize USB flash drives.

You use EVMOVECF to transfer the license from your old computer to the USB flash drive and you then use EVMOVEW to transfer from the USB flash drive to your new computer's hard drive.

G.

OK thanks... license moved successfully ..

It's possible copied this license from USB to more laptop ?
I ask you. Because i have 3 laptops which use Win Xp and PCMCIA slot and i would like use it license for other laptop ... if i will need it.

Regards

With the older EVRSI activations you can only move the license files around to one workstation at a time. This is because the files are moved, not copied, to the local hard drive off of the removeable device, whether floppy disk, CF card, or USB flash drive. This then ties the license to the local hard drive. This is referred to a Node-Locked license as you can only use the licensed software product on one Node (computer) at a time.

Note: You cannot simply copy the activation files stored on one hard drive to another hard drive. This will not work. You must use the EvMove utility, which only moves the files and does not perform file copying.

So there should not be a copy of the license you just moved still on the USB flash drive to move to other workstations. It should be moved to the hard drive on your newer workstation.

So, in short, if you want to move the license to another workstation then you must use the EvMove utility each time you move it and it can only reside on one workstation at a time.

If you really would like to be able to use this copy of RSLogix 500 software more easily between workstations, then you could consider migrating your EVRSI Activation to the newer FactoryTalk Activation (FlexLM).

The best method I could advise is to use a floating license method which uses a USB Dongle (9509-USB-DONG2) which acts as the hardware Host ID for your licenses. The license is activated against the unique Flex ID key of the special USB Dongle and will only work when the USB Dongle is present. With FactoryTalk Activation, you can copy the license files to each workstation and then simply move the USB Dongle around between the workstations to activate the product.

Another advantage of FactoryTalk Activations is the 7 day grace period...

Once you plug in the USB Dongle, and activate the product, you can then take it to the other workstations and do likewise. Once activated, the product will continue to function without the presence of the USB Dongle for a 7 day grace period. Once this period has expired the product will stop working and you must plug the USB Dongle in again to re-activate the product. This will allow you to use the product on more than one workstation at a time for a period of one week. You could keep plugging the Dongle in every couple of days between workstations, if convenient, and continue to use them as if fully licensed.

The one downside to working under the grace period is the frequent popup reminder stating as such and how much time is left. But you can just OK it and continue working.

To migrate your EVRSI Activation to FactoryTalk Activation, see here...

58144 - TechConnect contract requirements to Migrate from Master Disk to FactoryTalk Activation

The problem here is that your v6 does not support both EVRSI and FactoryTalk Activation. So you do not qualify for free migration. You would require a valid TechConnect Support Contract to migrate.

Even if you did qualify for free, your v6 does not support FactoryTalk Activation and would require you to upgrade to a compatible newer version. v7 being the earliest version that supports FactoryTalk Activations. To upgrade your software you would also require a valid TechConnect Support Contract.

Do you have one?

If you do not, then Personal Message (PM) me and I'll see what I can do.

That is, if you are interested in migrating to facilitate the use of FactoryTalk Activation?

Regards,
George

Last edited: