Install virtual controller to Studio 5000

james13

So I have Studio 5000 Professional and just installed Emulate 5000.

I created a virtual controller (selected 5570) but then see it says 5868.

The issue is that in Studio 5000 I do not see the virtual controller.

Do I need to install the controller some how in Studio 5000?
If yes, where do I get it from?

I must have missed something.

đź“š

Ok so it turns out everything was installed.

You need to create a new project and select the virtual controller from there.

The Logix controllers are all identified as being part of the 5000 family. Within that family each product line has a number range assigned.

The SoftLogix and Emulate controllers have always been identified with 58xx. The ControlLogix is 55xx, CompactLogix uses 53xx and it recently also started using 54xx. 54xx had been used for the now obsolete FlexLogix controllers. Lastly, the also obsolete DriveLogix used 57xx.

The confusing aspect with what you ran across was in the Emulate software you are selecting that you want to emulate a 5570 style controller. But the actual Emulate controller that gets created ends up being a 5868. Then in the Logix software when you go to select the Emulate controller, it again has you selecting an Emulate 5570 Controller. So you really only see the "5568" designation when you are looking at the controller properties within the Emulate software.

Be assured, it isn't you, it is the software naming that is confusing.

OG

You can also take a copy of an existing program, change the processor type to an Emulated one, and then download that.

You'll need to make sure that you have an Emulated PLC in the right virtual slot.

And you may want to go into the I/O tree and inhibit (on each Connections tab) all of the I/O modules so you can write directly to them with some simulation logic: "If motor output is on, set the motor running feedback input bit" kind of thing. You don't need to have any I/O modules in your virtual rack. The PLC won't care, especially if the I/O is Inhibited.