Installing AB Studio 5000

elfmanp

In the past I have always installed all of my AB software in, and ran on a Virtual machine, specifically VMWare. However, with the release of Studio 5000 I am wondering if I shouldn't forget the Virtual Machine (VM has changed their free license to non-comercial use only) and install directly on my computer. Opinions, thoughts, issues, etc are invited... Thanks in advance.:confused:

Yes, I have been using VMWare Player, but it is now "not for commercial use". I had just been told in the past that AB software integrates itself so much in the operating system, it could mess up your operating system. Therefore installing in a virtual machine is much easier to roll-back/backup and not be quite so much work to restore.

Also, I am running a computer with Windows 7 on it.

I run VMware Workstation (not free). It's essential for my work with RA software. With all the different versions, a VM is the only way to go. And if an install goes bad, the snapshots will save you hours if not days of headaches.

I have Studio 5000 installed directly on my Windows 7 64-bit system w/o issue.

In reality you should get the proper license from VMWare as I would not recommend all software to get installed on a host machine (cough FT View ME). Go with Workstaion or Player (requires a Fusion license), it's $250 or $100 pending what you get, cheap considering.

It's worth the cost. Definitely go with the VM instead of installing on the host. I have VMs I can open from my home or work computers via USB. If my work laptop fails I can be up and running on a spare laptop very quickly even while my host is being repaired or replaced.

I too was disappointed in VMware changing to non-commercial use, I recommended it to co-workers and we used it in the classroom, but now all of those uses are not in compliance with their TOS.

OG