Internet Access to HMI/PLC systems

Casco

I am working on an application to provide remote access via the Internet to a small pump station.

The station has CIMPLICITY HMI and a GE 90-30 PLC. The HMI is configured as a web server and currently serves web pages via the local LAN. I want to provide a full time connection to the Internet so that the operator can access the HMI screens via the Internet from any location.

I believe the final installation will something look like this:

[PLC] ---> [HMI Web Server] ---> [Router/Firewall] --[DSL]----> [Internet] --- [Web Browser]

1)Has anyone had experience with this type of installation?

2)Can you recommend a low-cost method to connect the station to the Internet? DSL or Cable Modem connections are at least $50/mo plus another $20/month for a static IP address. Is there another way?

3) Do I need a static IP address?

4) Pros/Cons of this approach?

Thanks

A static IP would be best but you can use a relay such as http://www.dyndns.org/ to keep an URL pointed to you application. You would need to run a small application on your machine for this or have a router that is setup for dyndns. Use the router to map the port number the HMI is using to the machine that has the HMI and it should be visible externally.

You wont really need a static ip, the website mentioned has a little utlility you run on the background of a PC..I have this setup at my house for remote access via Remote Desktop...this is where it gets fun :)
Setup a single terminal on your local LAN that has access to all of the PLCs & HMIs on the particular network..download the utility and setup the dns server.
You can pretty much name it anything you want, and its 100% free.
mine is elake.dnsalias.com...then, setup remote desktop on your PC that is on the LAN, and forward the port on the router.
You should be able to access that PC from any PC that has the Internet!
Windows XP comes standard with remote desktop, and its a simple download for Win2k I believe.

Hope this helps!!