InTouch - directly write to an InTouch tag

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
When using System Platform, I can use the object viewer to directly manipulate attributes/tags/whatever.

When I have a standalone InTouch application, how can I write to an InTouch tag (data type is Memory Message) without actually putting it on a screen with a data entry field? I just want to set a "units" tag.

When using System Platform, I can use the object viewer to directly manipulate attributes/tags/whatever.

When I have a standalone InTouch application, how can I write to an InTouch tag (data type is Memory Message) without actually putting it on a screen with a data entry field? I just want to set a "units" tag.

Why not use the units field of the IO data tag itself? It's a DOT field that's accessible to display.

Otherwise if you are intent on using a memory message tag to store a value, in that tags configuration set the initial value to what you want.

Why not use the units field of the IO data tag itself? It's a DOT field that's accessible to display.

Otherwise if you are intent on using a memory message tag to store a value, in that tags configuration set the initial value to what you want.
Thanks, I've set the initial value but it doesn't seem to actually update the existing tag value. I agree that there are far better ways to do this, but unfortunately, this is not my dumpster fire, I have to work with the existing structure. I get the impression the OEM had an "OEM" screen where they set all these tag values many years ago, and then deleted it from the configuration once they were done.

Thanks, I've set the initial value but it doesn't seem to actually update the existing tag value. I agree that there are far better ways to do this, but unfortunately, this is not my dumpster fire, I have to work with the existing structure. I get the impression the OEM had an "OEM" screen where they set all these tag values many years ago, and then deleted it from the configuration once they were done.

Initial value will absolutely update the memory tag unless it's also configured as retentive. Then it's going to load last value.

Huh. In that case, there must be a script or something writing to it, because it flatly refuses to change.

I've searched the cross reference, but it only shows it as being used in animations on a couple of displays. Clearly the cross reference is incomplete, because I know of at least two other displays it's used in animations that don't show up. How else could I search and work out what's writing to it?

Huh. In that case, there must be a script or something writing to it, because it flatly refuses to change.

I've searched the cross reference, but it only shows it as being used in animations on a couple of displays. Clearly the cross reference is incomplete, because I know of at least two other displays it's used in animations that don't show up. How else could I search and work out what's writing to it?

What version? 2017 and 2020 are notorious for having a broken cross ref. You basically have to open every window and script, resave, cross your fingers and hope. 2014 and earlier work, Also, if the tags are formed dynamic with indirect they won't show up in any cross ref. As an example:

InAnalog.Name = MyAnalog.Name will cross ref MyAnalog.

But

IndAnalog = "MyAnalog" will not.

Both syntax will work but I never use the latter for that reason.

I have most versions of WW on VMs...if you want to send me the app I can have a look see if you get stuck.

Try the wwclient utiltiy?

Aha. Yes, I believe this was recently migrated from 2014 to 2020. It's quite a large application - probably 100 displays and at least as many scripts, opening and saving them all would take quite a while.

Thanks for the offer to review the application - the client probably wouldn't be comfortable with me sending it unfortunately. And at this point - it's only used in 5-6 places, I think I'll just remove the text animation and hard code the units. Not worth diving into someone else's dumpster fire to unravel it any further 🔨

Aha. Yes, I believe this was recently migrated from 2014 to 2020. It's quite a large application - probably 100 displays and at least as many scripts, opening and saving them all would take quite a while.

Thanks for the offer to review the application - the client probably wouldn't be comfortable with me sending it unfortunately. And at this point - it's only used in 5-6 places, I think I'll just remove the text animation and hard code the units. Not worth diving into someone else's dumpster fire to unravel it any further 🔨

Yeah, converting 2014 to 17 or 20 has always caused problems with the tag indices for me. There may be a way to blow away the tagname index. Once upon a time deleting tagname.avl would do it, but that was abandoned after Intouch 10. So, usually I just bite the bullet and go through each screen and script. That usually fixes the unused tag and cross references.

Maybe try this: https://knowledge.insourcess.com/?t...owing_references_to_Windows_that_were_deleted

Yes, 2020 cross reference doesn’t show everything. I started printing the application to a text file, selecting everything except images. Then search the text file for your filename with N++ or your favorite text editor. It might take several minutes to print, depending on application size and computer power. It will be a large text file.

Now that's the sort of hack workaround that I can get behind! Sigh, I guess I'm going to add "cross reference has been broken since 2014" to my list of reasons I don't recommend Wonderware to new clients...