Intouch, tagname comment field

ason

Hey, on our plant they use intouch, and tagname for alarms in the comment field there is an explanation for the alarm,
but there is limitation on the length to around 30-35 characters.
can i change that to more in someway?

or can i do a popup window for more information on some tagname,
i wanna explain what did the alarm

Thanks,

Last edited:
I don't know of any way you can change that. You can enter in the alarm comment field up to 131 characters. Use this field for alarm comments and not the "tag" comment field which is limited to 50 characters. 131 characters is a limitation to the intouch message data type.

(intouch version 9.5)

I cant find any "alarm comment field"
the alarm is today in the tag dictionary.
Can someone attach a snapshot or give me somemore hints pls,

to bad,
an other department have 9.0 on CD, is´t dificult to upgrade an project to that?
but maybe the PC is to old for that,

ason said:
to bad,
an other department have 9.0 on CD, is´t dificult to upgrade an project to that?
but maybe the PC is to old for that,

No, it isn't difficult but it isn't free either. Do you have a license for 9.0?

yes, we got a license..
we have a construction department that regulary use intouch, and i wanna learn.. much more...
i ask them alot of question and here at plctalk, (thanks every one @ PLCtalk)
and i have made many changes on this production line.

Last edited:
If you are going to bother to upgrade I would go right to 9.5, I wish we did. 9.5 has some nice features

1. You can now "zoom" in on your project under development to see better what you are doing (What a concept!).

2. If you use a pop up keyboard or keypad (with a touchscreen for example), you are no longer limited to just the standard Windows font. This is nice because with the ever increasing resolutions we are getting the standard windows keyboard is getting a little tough to see.

There are more advantages but those are two that stood out to me (or maybe I am just getting old).
Having said that 10.0 is supposed to be out in a couple of months, you might want to wait.

ason said:
or can i do a popup window for more information on some tagname,
i wanna explain what did the alarm

Thanks,

I did do it this way years ago. you can click somewhere on your screen and pop up a windows somewhere to display what ever you what, then you click this pop up to hide itself. not necessary do this for all the tags, just for some critical or not obvious one