InView Message/Variable MSG or AWT? RS485

rkduet

I have been working with InView P42C Message Displays communicating with SLC 5/05 through 1761-Net-AIC RS485 multidrop. I have 46 messages and 59 variables. I have 4 of those messages with 3 variables in each. hours:minutes:seconds. I have written the messages in the InView with the format V#:V#:V#.
I tried to include the three variables in one MSG write that didn't work. Indirect addressing didn't work either. I guess my question is: What if any would be the draw back to utilizing the AWT instruction versus the MSG write? Besides tying up the port as user defined. It seems from what I've read I could easily write one string with all the variables indirect with the AWT this would definitely simplify programming. Any help would be great. I have read the other posts concerning InView but none are specific on this point.

Thanks
rkduet

Use the message command, and watch the DN and ER bit. Time your MSG commands, and no you cannot use indirect addressing within the command, although it will accept the verify. To work around, set up a temporary register MOVe that will accept the data of the indirect addressing. Then use that temp register in your MSG command type. If you need to send sequential data streams use the MSG append command.

ps sorrrrry for the edits, I have a stuck/dead keyboard key, the rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Last edited:
Continued

I know I can't use indirect addressing within the MSG Write but it won't even allow me use a MOV instruction for a String. I would have to copy and a copy doesn't work with indirect adressing in the string? Why, I don't know. I would have to run a bunch of ACN instructions to accomplish one indirect to a MSG Write. The more ACN instructions I put in, the scan rate goes up,up,up. My main question is what are the draw backs to the AWT versus the MSG write? What are the differences? I can't find any good documentation or examples explaining this.