IO block with built in AND functionality

I am wondering if anyone has seen an input IO block that has a built in AND function for the inputs and the output of the block is a normal M12 5 pin connector?

We have been using Murr 276247 blocks for this purpose but they are discontinued and Murr offers no substitute.

The application is a press where there are limited input ports available near the sensors, but there are a lot of sensors to connect.

These Murr blocks allow you to connect up to 8 inputs to the block and via dip switches configure it a few different ways, one of which is to AND all of the input ports together and output from the block a single output via the M12 5 pin port. So basically all 8 sensors have to be on to turn on the output.

Anyone know of any other manufacturers that make something like this? I know there are some t connectors that have AND capability but since I have so many sensors I'd prefer an IO block with 8 ports min.

Can you use an IO-Link master?

If not you can get some IO blocks with Codesys that you could program your own logic into and configure an output to got to your PLC.

You can roll your own with 8 relays and using contacts in series from the relays into a single input. Beats having to keep spare specialty IO blocks on hand, IMO.

I like the idea of relays wired in series, but they have to be in a cabinet, and that block can be mounted on the machine. If you can put it in a box, another option that's probably a lot cheaper than the IO block and cheaper than some brands' relays is a simple Click Basic PLC. Embedded IO, less than $100, free software. One rung of logic and you're done.

I like the idea of relays wired in series, but they have to be in a cabinet, and that block can be mounted on the machine. If you can put it in a box, another option that's probably a lot cheaper than the IO block and cheaper than some brands' relays is a simple Click Basic PLC. Embedded IO, less than $100, free software. One rung of logic and you're done.

Yes a small PLC would work, however this is going on the transfer arms of a transfer press. The tooling guys are used to the current system we have where they just need to worry about replacing sensors and plugging them in to the M12 ports on the Murr blocks. That murr block is then plugged into one of the die protection M12 inputs. As some of you know, changing anything to do with this will create confusion, so adding another PLC will require wiring directly to the inputs, will need a new little panel mounted to the transfer arm somewhere etc etc.

I was able to find some used blocks online so i will just order those for now.

Yeah, that changes the situation. For future reference, there are blocks like that one that are just "wire extenders" with no brains. A multi-conductor cable runs from the block to wherever it's terminated. To the users, it would be seamless. Instead of being AND-ed in the block, it would be AND-ed in the cabinet. Since it's on an arm, finding one with flex rated cable could be a challenge.

Yeah, that changes the situation. For future reference, there are blocks like that one that are just "wire extenders" with no brains. A multi-conductor cable runs from the block to wherever it's terminated. To the users, it would be seamless. Instead of being AND-ed in the block, it would be AND-ed in the cabinet. Since it's on an arm, finding one with flex rated cable could be a challenge.

+1 that reminded me of one I've used in the past from AD, ZP-JBH84-00-FW. You field wire a cable in the J-Box on it, can just add jumpers as needed to create your own AND.

Allen-Bradley has M12 distribution boxes without the logic. You'll have to replace the home run cable with a bigger cable though, but they have versions with M23 disconnect or a terminal block.

I like the AB version better than the ones Automation Direct has because AB sends two pairs of commons while AD sends one.

Reach out to Banner Engineering they do systems like this all the time in the custom shop. They may have a standard product that you can just program yourself.