IP Address issue SLC 5/05 with Red Lion G308

joe75140

Hi, I am not very familiar with IP adressing. I want to add a Red Lion G308 to an existing process that already has a SLC 5/05 and Red Lion G310 connected by ethernet using 4 port hub. I do know both of their IP Addresses and can communicate with them. I hope I can run new ethernet from open port in hub to G308, give G308 IP Address, and program from there. My question is how do I choose new IP address for G308? Does it come with its own IP Address already assigned from manufacturer? Thanks for any information.

Thanks for your reply TW. So do I assign IP Address when I do initial download? And if true, do I just make up address? Or, should I be able to find IP Address, when I make first connection, kInd of like finding out the IP Address of a SLC 5/05 by making serial connection first? I don't know how IP Addresses work on new products, do you know where I can get information on IP Adresses, for industrial applicatioms?

Well the IP Address you will assign to the G3 will be dependent on the current IP Address of your SLC. What's the IP and subnet of the SLC?

Check with your IT department for a IP addresses, I always use a static (fixed) IP address and work with them on a block of address that they give me

A lot of just the standard PCs are automatically assigned a address when they login the network, but for PLCs equipment you don't want any issues with address conflicts

IP Address is 192.168.1.185, subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. I noticed the Red Lion has a Gateway Address. Is the Gateway referring to DF1 master?

We are small and do not have an IT Department. We do have a computer guy who is over our networked office computers, that just comes in maybe once a month unless we have a problem, then we call him. Should I check with him on getting IP Address?

I would say yes...

How did you come up with that address? 192.168.1.185? is this the SLC? do you want to use DF1? or ethernet?

192.168.1.185 is address for the SLC 5/05. The address for the G310 is 192.168.1.130. Under communications on the Red Lion HMI, when I click on ethernet, it shows port settings and shows Gateway IP address. Under ethernet, it shows Protocol 1 being DF1 master, with my SLC 5/05 IP Address listed under DF1 master. I believe the DF1 master is referring to the card in back of touchscreen. The touchscreen does have ethernet going to 4 port hub and the SLC 5/05 has ethernet going to hub also. These are only cables going to either one. Since there is 2 empty ports on hub I hope I can run ethernet from there to a new Red Lion HMI. Sorry for not being more clear.

I give up, how do i open a CDI file ?

EDIT: Its a G3 Image file, i am pretty sure i cannot open this with C2

You will need to post the cd2 file, it can be got from putting the cdi onto a CF, renaming to dbase.cdi and then booting, then uploading from the G3 but i cannot do this as i dont have a G308 or G310 at work (or home) at present

cdi.jpg

Last edited:
If you can post the cd2 file that would be good, if not then i am sure Redlion will jump on this on Monday and sort it for you...

Another thing you may want to look into, instead of having both G3's access the 5/05 would be to have all tags needed mapped to the existing G310 and then have the G308 get these from the G310 over the ethernet link

See this doc for details, i havent doen it yet but will be in the next month or so with 2 x G303's one connected to a multitech modem with SMS alarms out, the second G3 will need to text out also.

Last edited: