IR thermometer into PLC

Yes. In the PLC I/O advanced configuration and/or ladder logic you will want to convert that voltage signal into engineering units.

Most likely, when you order the sensor, you will, in addition to 10vdc output, choose the output range you want to correspond with the voltage signal. Match that up with the application requirements as best as possible With 12 bits of resolution, you should be good to go in the Micro, and be sure to let us know how the sensor performs.

Omega may have a config wizard to help you build or narrow the list of part numbers...many of their lines have nice helpful config. tools.

Last edited:
perhaps before you buy some here can help to see if this will work for you I have some omega Ir's and lots of micrologix plcs and have used both. If you can explain a litle more about what your trying to do maybe we can help

perhaps before you buy some here can help to see if this will work for you I have some omega Ir's and lots of micrologix plcs and have used both. If you can explain a litle more about what your trying to do maybe we can help

-I am trying to monitor the temperature of a cast iron part while it is air quenching. Then once it hits a certain temperature, I want it to sound an alarm to notify someone that it is ready for the next step.

-The thing is I have multiple parts that have different temperatures that they need to hit before they can advance to the next step. So based on and input, it sets the temperature threshold at what it needs to be.

-There are probably 20 different temperature thresholds.

usually I would use an ircon for your app. are all the parts the same material? what is the accuracy needed. omega has some great folks that can help you pick a I/R . With that said, is the temp going to be recorded for QC? do you need calibration? how will you mount the IR and will it need cooling are just a few things to consider. The micro logix should handle your task as well as the omega. just make sure about the accuracy you need before ordering.

usually I would use an ircon for your app. are all the parts the same material? what is the accuracy needed. omega has some great folks that can help you pick a I/R . With that said, is the temp going to be recorded for QC? do you need calibration? how will you mount the IR and will it need cooling are just a few things to consider. The micro logix should handle your task as well as the omega. just make sure about the accuracy you need before ordering.

- 95% or cast iron, 5% are steel
- Our current spec has a range of 50 F, so anything that is accurate to 20 F or so should suffice.
- Temp will not be recorded, just monitored
- calibration wont be needed, we can do it in house if needed.
- It will probably need an air purge to keep the lens clean and a cooling jacket.

I misspoke earlier, we only have 3 different temperature thresholds.

the temp ranges are not a problem. the different materials could be ,however with that much error range I doubt it. you could just hook up a thermocouple to each different material at the set point range and record what the IR reads for except, move to next stage ranges to verify its accuracy I'm using something like this with 1400s and 1100s I just using the thermo couple cards because I also use TCs in my apps

the temp ranges are not a problem. the different materials could be ,however with that much error range I doubt it. you could just hook up a thermocouple to each different material at the set point range and record what the IR reads for except, move to next stage ranges to verify its accuracy I'm using something like this with 1400s and 1100s I just using the thermo couple cards because I also use TCs in my apps

Material shouldn't matter as it's only a function of temperature.

-What I need help with is where to physically connect each wire on my PLC?

Not so with IR, you must also consider the target material emissivity. Some sensors can be adjusted to compensate for this.

You're correct, I didn't think about that. But like bce123 stated, it shouldn't make a huge difference with our large temperature range.

2j0e35y.png

So do I want to plug the + (white wire) into IV0, and the - (green wire) into COM ANA? Then manipulate the voltage to represent a temperature via ladder logic?

You're correct, I didn't think about that. But like bce123 stated, it shouldn't make a huge difference with our large temperature range.

2j0e35y.png

So do I want to plug the + (white wire) into IV0, and the - (green wire) into COM ANA? Then manipulate the voltage to represent a temperature via ladder logic?

With our Raytek, the default emissivity setting works pretty well, but we found that with the tinted special lens we have to change it to a lower value to maintain good accuracy.

I closed your manual to let Acrobat update itself..., would have to open it again, but I think you have the wiring right, if your sensor is powered with another wire (or two)

With our Raytek, the default emissivity setting works pretty well, but we found that with the tinted special lens we have to change it to a lower value to maintain good accuracy.

I closed your manual to let Acrobat update itself..., would have to open it again, but I think you have the wiring right, if your sensor is powered with another wire (or two)

Yes, It looks like there is a separate pair of wires for power.

2yuixpf.png