Is a PLC the right tool for the job?

You are asking for advice from a bunch of hammers in this forum, so this project certainly looks like a nail.

Literally what I was thinking!
I've done lots of automation around arduino and similar devices. Not everything needs to run for 15 years on the factory floor or on an oil rig. That said, I have built arduino-based devices that run on large machine tools.

OP: If you're a programmer, then C/C++/Python on an arduino or clone is probably easier for you than PLC ladder logic. If needed, there are ruggedized versions with isolated inputs and high current/relay outputs.

This really isn't a good forum for this kind of discussion so if you'd like to probe further, send me a Private Message and we can talk about what I can build for you, or if you prefer, I'll offer suggestions for DIY.

If this is for fun and you have C/C++ experience, then an Arduino will fit the bill.

If it does need a lot of reliability, replication, or sale to others, I would find a simple mobile machine controller from someone like ifm or TTC. These will generally allow you to use Codesys or C and will interface with mobile equipment better than an industrial PLC. They can be a bit more of a pain to work with due to often needing a harness, but for a product that is to be sold to something in that environment, they are the better solution and require no enclosure.