looking for the right PLC controller

jg1423

Good Day everyone,

i am currently wiring up a panel and i am not sure if a L36ERMS compact guardlogix controller is just used for safety or you can program a whole cell with that controller. only safety i am using is a light curtain which will be in the logic.

but i am wondering if this controller can disable safety and can be used to program logic or is it just a safety controller.

thank you

That controller can also handle ordinary IO and programs. It will end up with a separate safety task that contains all of the safety programming. By the way, the "M" in the catalog number indicates that it can also handle some motion control.

thank you so much so i am able to program motion and all that stuff.
and is there any way to disable the safety part of it

I am not an AB expert by any means, but I can confirm that we use a L30ERMS safety controller just as a PLC in our lab and it works fine.

You don't need to disable the things you're not using. If you don't use them, they'll just sit dormant.

If you don't add any safety routines, your PLC won't execute any safety code.

If you don't add an motion axes, your PLC won't do any motion planning.

If you don't add any ethernet devices to the ethernet tree, the PLC won't do any network communications.

Heck, if you just need something to prop your door open, and you have an L36ERMS lying around, it can do that too. There's no reason you have to use any of the features. It can do a lot of things, but there's no reason you must do any of them.

Although I do have to say, given the eye watering prices of a L36ERMS, buying one and then not using it to do any safety seems...overkill.