Is it possible to program Codesys Win 64 runtime machine without giving project

AlfredoQuintero

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello. I have been trying to crack this one without success and could not find any hint after several search attempts. I wonder if any CODESYS guru could help.

I am finishing a CODESYS WIN 64 application for a customer.

This customer will then sell the application to their end-users, but the end-users are responsible for the Windows 10 system in which the program will run, and the customer needs to get the CODESYS license and so on.

When one wants to install the runtime application on the Windows "runtime-only" system (in which the CODESYS development environment is NOT to be installed), normally the computer with the CODESYS engineering tool is connected on the same network as the runtime system, one starts the PLC application in the runtime and from the engineering environment the runtime PC is scanned and detected, the program is successfully downloaded and then the program will work on the runtime system without needing to use the engineering tool if there is no change in the soft-PLC program.

But my customer does not want to give the sources of my program to the end-users, not only for intellectual property protection, but also because doing what I describe in above paragraph may be challenge for many customers and could be an after-sales support nightmare, which my customer is so eager to avoid.

I tried a number of hacks, like copying the full C:\ProgramData\CODESYS\CODESYSControlWinV3x64\7F8584BF\PlcLogic folder from one system in which the program works to another, but if I do this the program does not start on the system on which I copy the full contents of this folder. It seems this is not a very good hack.o_O

I hope there is a way to do this, otherwise all I can tell my customer is that they provide the CODESYS project to the end-user password protected or some other inelegant solution. Thanks for reading down to this point.

Last edited:
Norman, thanks a lot. I missed this explanation. It does seem related to my requirement. It is late here now. Will look into it in more detail tomorrow. Much appreciated.

I believe creating the boot application on the Developement system, transferring it to the runtime computer and rebooting should work. You will have to get the files in the right places.

https://help.codesys.com/webapp/_cds_creating_a_boot_application;product=codesys;version=3.5.17.0
I was able to get this working. Thanks very much for your advice. The tricky part was getting the files in the right places. I am impressed this is not even mentioned in the CODESYS help information. I am specially impressed that there is no mention of the need to create a folder with the name of the application into which the PLC program's offline data is to be copied, and that other folders contents need also be updated.