Is There a Bible for RSLogix 5000?

If the program has bad structure, it's the programmer's fault, not the programming software's fault. Sadly, more often than not the structure is bad because of the migration from 5/500. It's why you still see programs with arrays of N[x], B[x]..etc in 5000 because old habits die hard and the concepts of UDTs and AOIs and creating STRUCTURE were completely new so programmers crammed the 5/500 structure into their 5000 programs OR they just made **** up as they went.

I suspect that most of the programs you find with arrays of N, B, etc. are due to the programs being converted from a PLC5 or possibly SLC. Now it's very likely that once that structure was presented, people kept with the same structure (or lack of) as they moved on. I swore years ago that I would never use the conversion software and have used it more in the past year than not. Funny thing about I nevers is that you never realize what the future holds!

I agree with you concerning the Logix programming platform and really any of the Logix software. I think it is probably the most solid on the market. It usually does what it is made to do and doesnt crash or otherwise misbehave. Studio5000 is a little less refined and I have managed to crash it; however, it is younger and is still maturing.

Maybe I will get to that rabbit video after I make a video on how to correctly assign an IP address to a 1794AENT Ethernet adapter with rotary switches using BootP.

So if you are using the rotary switches and BootP - you may have a problem. The device is usually setup to use BootP out of the box.

I guess I'm missing the not having enough information in the way of manuals also. Just about any I/O card, processor or instruction can be found by using a quick google search. Instructions are usually just the F1 key away from finding out anything you usually need to get started. Work with Rockwell for a year and then go back to Automation Direct and I think you will want to go back and erase this thread! It really is pretty good stuff.

Originally posted by rupej:

I've always had good luck consulting the built-in help pages for the various instructions.

That is a really helpful point. Remember it. Logix5K/Studio are just like other Windows apps. Click on the instruction you are interested in. Hit F1. Voila.

Its not going to show you how to frame the house but it will certainly tell you how to swing the hammer.

Keith

Also, I remember when I first got into RS Logix, I was learning under someone else; I agree, I don't think I could study this software on my own, it's best to find a programmer/engineer at your firm who understands it and learn the best you can from them.

And ask many questions here, I've asked a handful of basic questions, but majority of people are very helpful, no one will look down upon you, as long as you are showing the effort to learn and figure out how to solve the problem at hand. I don't think your initial comment of saying it's poorly designed made anyone jump with joy. It's difficult for sure, but definitely possible to learn.

So if you are using the rotary switches and BootP - you may have a problem. The device is usually setup to use BootP out of the box.

I guess I'm missing the not having enough information in the way of manuals also. Just about any I/O card, processor or instruction can be found by using a quick google search. Instructions are usually just the F1 key away from finding out anything you usually need to get started. Work with Rockwell for a year and then go back to Automation Direct and I think you will want to go back and erase this thread! It really is pretty good stuff.

It was a used adapter with an unknown IP address. The instruction manual was not exactly correct. It took a lot of experiments to get it to work.

I do like a lot of the features compared to AD. The structure is nice too. However, I am dealing with an old plant with many generations of controllers and many different program styles. In a short amount of time I have found some things that required a great deal of effort to resolve. I'm sure, over time, these things will be just a typical day in the Rockwell world.

I may have jumped to conclusions about the quality of the software based off of everyone's responses. I have only worked with a handful of IDE's so I don't have much to compare it to. I'm used to software packages for programming drives, HMI's, sensors, etc. and also programs like AutoCAD Electrical. All had their quirks but I never needed to spend so much time getting to know any of them.

For now I will try to go about it with a new perspective.

Also, I remember when I first got into RS Logix, I was learning under someone else; I agree, I don't think I could study this software on my own, it's best to find a programmer/engineer at your firm who understands it and learn the best you can from them.

And ask many questions here, I've asked a handful of basic questions, but majority of people are very helpful, no one will look down upon you, as long as you are showing the effort to learn and figure out how to solve the problem at hand. I don't think your initial comment of saying it's poorly designed made anyone jump with joy. It's difficult for sure, but definitely possible to learn.

Unfortunately, my senior guys are PLC 5 and 500. They don't like the 5000 and they have a hard time with it. So, I'm basically on my own but that's what I do.

So far, I'm able to do most of the things I need to do. I've been working with it for about a month and I'm already showing the senior guys things and fixing problems that the previous programmers could not figure out. It's the odd-ball things that you come across that I need help with.

I have learned (especially through this thread) that this IDE is not like others and that I need to learn the best practices to make it work in my favor.

The online classes were helpful but there are some things you will only learn by shadowing a senior-level programmer or digging through all of the information to find your way.

I might start a new thread to see what classes/teachers people recommend to learn the best practices. My company is willing to send me to training and I plan to be here for a while so it would be helpful to know the proper, and improper, ways to use this software.

Rockwell’s support is actually not that bad. Once you figure out the website and search function. You need an account, free will offer some tech articles while paid will get you a lot more.

Just don't expect to get anyone competent on the phone until your problem has been elevated about 10 times. We're fortunate to have a local reseller with their own tech support group and they are very good. If they can't figure it out, they call RA. I haven't called RA directly in over 10 years.

Their website is pretty good, but I've found if you aren't using the exact right verbiage, the searches can fail you.

I have learned (especially through this thread) that this IDE is not like others and that I need to learn the best practices to make it work in my favor.

Yep, they are all different. I've learned enough of them to know "logical" for IDEs is a gray scale. And the frustration of knowing what you want to do, but not being able to find it in the IDE. It's even worse when you come back to something you haven't worked on in a while, know you figured it out last time, but for the life of you can't remember how you did it!

While there is no ONE Bible for Logix, there are user manuals/reference guides for the different languages which you may find useful, but you may find it's a couple years worth of bedtime reading material. F1 on a function block will bring up the help, but you may find that marginally useful. I swear the Summer Interns at RA wrote most of those "Input: this is the input to the function block." Really?

If you want to get stuff done in Logix/Studio 5k, turn on Tools-Options-Ladder Editor-Enable Quick Keys - and learn them.

I might start a new thread to see what classes/teachers people recommend to learn the best practices. My company is willing to send me to training and I plan to be here for a while so it would be helpful to know the proper, and improper, ways to use this software.

Not to be to humble on Ron Beaufort's part, post 4, you just had the walking AB bible answer your question (but notice he said retired now).
I believe the lessons he ran were classed as the best in the USA (sorry to any other business) and l said USA Dabba, l don't want a war breaking out.
So if you see any stuff than Ron writes you know it's on the money.

If you see any coding examples done by someone with 10,000 post's Lance01, you wont go to far wrong following him either.

Last edited:
In my opinion coming from a limited number of IDE's, with a bit of background in RS500, RS5000 is a big eye opener, it's amazingly powerful when you start to get your head around the functions and there is really only 1 competitor Siemens, that's in the race against AB, but world dominance shows Siemens way ahead.

So love RS5000 or hate it CJSControls, you are going to be a lot more marketable in your employment with AB experience than you were with AD experience (and richer).
I won't be surprised in a short time you will be singing the praise of RS5000, and wont believe this post you started questioning the ability of AB software.

I suspect that most of the programs you find with arrays of N, B, etc. are due to the programs being converted from a PLC5 or possibly SLC.

Conversions are easy to spot, but I've recently seen similar on new systems where arrays were used, with some type of short hand like "PB[##]" which was an array of bools. So an array of "PushButtons". Comments on the array made sense "PB[1]" - Start, "PB[2]" - Stop...etc

Why not make it a UDT!?!?!?

PB.Start, PB.Stop, PB.AnnoyPaullys50...etc.

You could make an argument that they may need to add additional and a predefined array gives you flexibility but still out-dated thinking IMHO, or perhaps trying to protect some IP?