Issues Installing Factory Talk View 8.20

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello Everyone,
I just upgraded my FTV so that I can do SE projects. I have been able to download Version 8.20 without a problem. When I go to install it I get the attached error.
Here is what I have tried so far:
Delete downloaded file and re-download.
Right Click - Run as Administrator.
Turn Off Anti-Virus and Firewall.

Just won't install I get the same error no matter what I do. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated

System:
Dell Percision M4800 Laptop
Windows 7 Pro SP 1 64 Bit

FT Studio Error.PNG

Which install are you doing (Studio Enterprise/ HMI / RSLinx / FTD)?

It should be compatible. Have you reached out to TechSupport?

Can you post that log here?

This is what I am installing:
9701-VWSTENM FT View Studio SE FT View Ent EN MED S/W

Here is the log.

FTV Studio Log.jpg

I'm far from an expert, but the first place it appears to trip over itself is when it goes looking for the Sequence.txt. Does that file exist in the installation directory? Could it just be an issue with the download?

Try installing that Rockwell Garbage on a VM (and ONLY a disposable VM). Three reasons:
1) FTView Garbage likes to be installed on a totally virgin machine
2) You do NOT want FTView or any of its three thousand background services running on your actual work OS.
3) When it crashes and burns (which it will, often taking out other installed software with it), you can just restore the VM image and keep going.

Why on earth would you use FTView? it is hands down the worst piece of crapware out there. Use anything else, Wonderware, Advanced HMI, Ignition, Point of View... Dump FTView

I use a VM for FTView also. NOT because it crashes. Actually I can't remember the last time it crashed, but because I need different versions of it.

This is what I am installing:
9701-VWSTENM FT View Studio SE FT View Ent EN MED S/W

Here is the log.

Are you sure you have a good install file? Also - I agree to whoever said to run this in a VM. Is this for testing / development purpose or for runtime? It seems to work a lot better on fresh Server class images (Server 2012 R2 is supported now for the latest versions).

rdrast,
Don't hold back tell us how you really feel (y) I would use something else but the customer already has FTV SE and I am just doing some updates and maintenance on the system. I have been using FTV ME for years on my Laptop with no issues so I am not sure why I would have a problem with SE.

COMMANDO,
I cant say for sure if my file is good. I have downloaded it several times from the AB website so unless their files are corrupt I should have a good copy.

I am just using the software for development for a customer. I have several ME projects out in the field but this is my first SE project.

Bullzi said:
rdrast,
Don't hold back tell us how you really feel (y) I would use something else but the customer already has FTV SE and I am just doing some updates and maintenance on the system. I have been using FTV ME for years on my Laptop with no issues so I am not sure why I would have a problem with SE.

COMMANDO,
I cant say for sure if my file is good. I have downloaded it several times from the AB website so unless their files are corrupt I should have a good copy.

I am just using the software for development for a customer. I have several ME projects out in the field but this is my first SE project.

...and what about ASF's question?...

ASF said:
...the first place it appears to trip over itself is when it goes looking for the Sequence.txt. Does that file exist in the installation directory?...

Here is my "Config" folder for the same downloaded version of FTView 8.2 from back in February this year...
FTView_Config_Folder.bmp

Here is the contents of that file...

Sequence.txt

----------Machine Edition----------------;
Studio for Machine Edition;Installs the FactoryTalk View Studio for Machine Edition development environment that is used to create and manage projects for FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Station and PanelView Plus industrial terminals.
Machine Edition Station for Windows;Installs FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Station server to host Machine Edition applications on a single computer.
Stand-alone ME Transfer Utility;Installs FactoryTalk View ME Transfer Utility which transfers your run-time application file to and from the PanelView Plus terminal where the project will run.
----------Site Edition---------------------;
Studio Enterprise;Installs the FactoryTalk View Studio Enterprise development environment that is used to create and manage projects for FactoryTalk View Site Edition and Machine Edition.
Site Edition Server;Installs FactoryTalk View Site Edition HMI Server that FactoryTalk View Site Edition Clients connect to for screens and data.
Site Edition Client;Installs FactoryTalk View Site Edition HMI Client that connects to FactoryTalk View Site Edition Servers to interact with the HMI System.
Site Edition Station;Installs FactoryTalk View Site Edition Station that can be used as a single computer HMI in a Network or Local Scope FactoryTalk system.
----------Stand-alone Server-----------;
Stand-alone RSLinx Enterprise Server;Installs RSLinx Enterprise Server on a single computer that can be used as a data server for your HMI applications.
Stand-alone FactoryTalk Directory Server;Installs FactoryTalk Directory Server on a single computer that can be used as a centralized server for all your FactoryTalk applications.

That file should be there along with the XML configuration files for each Edition. The text file simply explains what each Edition of FTView installs. It is used as an XML parser test. The installation setup reads it at the "Identifying editions" step to verify the XML parser is functioning correctly. Without having found it and without having read it correctly, it cannot parse out the necessary configuration data from the XML files that it is attempting to do at the next step..."Parsing configuration file". It must successfully test parse "Sequence.txt" before it moves on to the actual XML configuration files. This is why you see references with [] suggesting nothing was found and finally : : where is says it "Could not Load Setup XML Configuration File from".

It appears that it is able to see the path to the [Config] folder, (Resolved path to...) but cannot find or access its contents?

Can you verify its contents are similar to my screenshot above?

If the files are there then I'm also wondering about file/folder permissions, UAC?

(p.s. Just in case you missed it, you forgot to obscure the second instance of the username later on in the Log).

Regards,
George

Im sure I had problems like this last time I installed factory talk. If i remember correctly I think I temp renamed the existing folder to ...OLD it was trying to install to and failing.
The folder was then recreated during the installation and then I put it back as was

Aha, stop the press!

I just found this...

522424 - FactoryTalk View SE Install Error: Could not load Setup XML Configuration File
Access Level: TechConnect

Look at...

Case 2: When click FactoryTalk View SE setup.exe file, the installation can't continue and the installation log file indicates, Could not load Setup XML Configuration File from: []: The operation completed successfully. (file name isn't specified within the brackets)

...and Answer...

Case 2: Go to the installation Config folder (7.00.00-FTView-DVD\FTView\Config), if the folder is empty (The installation files download from Rockwell Automation web site). Download the installation files again from Rockwell Automation web site or copy from other computer/DVD

So it appears as though their downloadable version either does not contain those files in the Config folder, but should, or they do not download properly.

As you've said you have already downloaded the DVD copy more than once, then this would appear to be true?

If you need help with "getting" a copy of those files then let us know or use Support. Which ever you prefer.

Regards,
George

George you are a Genius!!!
I think that is exactly what is going on. If I go look at the Config folder it is empty. It has none of the files you have.
I will try it again tonight and see what I get. If nothing else I will have to call support in the morning.

Edit: One thing I find frustrating is I went to the KB and typed in "Install Error FactoryTalk View SE" and didn't get this KB article. I would think the KB search function would have been able to point me to this with what I typed in. Oh well, guess they are trying to make things difficult.

Last edited:
Edit: One thing I find frustrating is I went to the KB and typed in "Install Error FactoryTalk View SE" and didn't get this KB article. I would think the KB search function would have been able to point me to this with what I typed in. Oh well, guess they are trying to make things difficult.

Don't worry, it's not just you. I'm halfway convinced that George is actually an AI who lives in the Rockwell KB - I can search the KB for dozens of related terms and not find the correct article, only for George to come along and link me to one that contains exactly the information I'm after and most of the search terms I put in :confused:

George is not real?? I was hoping that one day I could get to Ireland and buy him several Beers!! 🍻 (y)

Well he was right on this one. I deleted the files I downloaded the other day. I started a new download. Everything came up great and installed just like it should.

I have no good explanation other than the files must have been missing from the AB website. Maybe the discovered the error and fixed them.

Anyway thanks everyone for all the help. I am sure I will be asking more questions about SE now.

How dare you call my Intelligence Artificial!

Just think of me as "Karen Plankton" - Plankton's computer W.I.F.E. in Spongebob Squarepants. Smart, but sarcastic.

Good stuff Bullzi. Glad to have helped. Hmm, beer...

Bullzi said:
...Edit: One thing I find frustrating is I went to the KB and typed in "Install Error FactoryTalk View SE" and didn't get this KB article. I would think the KB search function would have been able to point me to this with what I typed in. Oh well, guess they are trying to make things difficult.

Tip for the day...spot the difference...
RA_KB_Search_Term_Tip.bmp

Any questions on SE you can direct at rdrast.

Regards,
George