Just wondering about weighing hoppers

Weigh_Algorithm.txt

[*]This subroutine does not exit when it finds a solution, so multiple solutions may be triggered on any one call.

[*]This subroutine does not test all combinations e.g. the sums of weights of the pair [0,9], or of the triple [7,8,11], will not be checked.

I didn't realize, i will work on it tomorrow, thank you

[*]Each sum could be calculated but once and incrementally at each loop level, instead of twice per IF comparison in the innermost loop, which would reduce the number of [+] operations by a few orders of magnitude.

Yeah, you are right. I didnt create this kind of ( 0<= a <= 10) in Gx Works 3 software, but for sure there is a way to write it and use less "+". I am trying it , thank you. I will check every advices.

Weigh_Algorithm.txt

• This subroutine does not exit when it finds a solution, so multiple solutions may be triggered on any one call.
  • This subroutine does not test all combinations e.g. the sums of weights of the pair [0,9], or of the triple [7,8,11], will not be checked.
  • Look up the knapsack problem; I think this is related to that, and there may be better algorithms available.
  • This brute force O(N5) algorithm could almost certainly be improved upon
  • Each sum could be calculated but once and incrementally at each loop level, instead of twice per IF comparison in the innermost loop, which would reduce the number of [+] operations by a few orders of magnitude.
  • Sums that exceed the upper limit in outer loops before reaching the inner loops could be skipped.
Those last four items are only about efficiency; if there are no watchdog timeouts, then brute force may be okay.

I updated it. Can you check it again ? and i want to make sure, is it correct way, or should i try for make sure? Thank you.

Me again... This brute force code is improved and you can still see on github. But its scan time is 35 milliseconds. My chef said this is good but slow, then i researched about knapsack and subset sum algorithms.

Then i write C language code (subset sum-knapsack mixed). But i used recursive functions and my mitsubishi PLC didn't support it. Then i try iteration, but in for loop, i couldn't do some processes because of PLC don't support them. And last version, for loops become while loops. Now i have different algorithm and its scan time is 2ms. I will not share publicly because maybe we can make this machine. But i thank you all of you for your helps and your ideas. This project teach me about software developing and i gain more experience.

Now i can say, you can make it with PLC. Maybe you can add a program block in your packaging machine. Then use multihead weigher and your machine at the same time. It means you can repair and design it for your needs. But i heard mechanical parts are hard to design because of falling speed problems. There are some articles about it, a lot of mathematical formulas for designing a multihead weigher. I think we will not produce it for our machines, but i am gonna try.

Last edited:
i thank you all of you for your helps and your ideas. This project teach me about software developing and i gain more experience.

Well done!

Regarding recursion, I had the same problem with many years ago: the Fortran compiler I was using (VAX/VMS) did not allow direct recursion i.e. a subroutine calling itself. However, I found that if I used an intermediate routine, then I could get around the compiler's limitation and induce Fortran to implement indirect recursion. E.g.
Code:
SUBROUTINE self(arg1, arg2, output)
   IF arg2 .LT. 1 THEN RETURN  !!! Terminate recursion

CALL self_intermediate(arg1, arg2-1, output)
   RETURN
END

SUBROUTINE self_intermediate(arg1, arg2, output)
   CALL self(arg1, arg2)
   RETURN
END

Well done!
Code:
SUBROUTINE self(arg1, arg2, output)
   IF arg2 .LT. 1 THEN RETURN  !!! Terminate recursion

CALL self_intermediate(arg1, arg2-1, output)
   RETURN
END

SUBROUTINE self_intermediate(arg1, arg2, output)
   CALL self(arg1, arg2)
   RETURN
END

Thank you @drbitboy for your help. I saved recursive function version in my pc. I am going to try it again on Monday. I think my company don't want to produce it, i will share it on gitHub if it works for me.

@drbitboy , hello again. We didn't produce this machine but i am simulating it and scan speed in simulation mode is around 1ms. I am not sure is it good or bad. Do you have an idea about it ? My co-worker told me 30ms is slow, when i show him first prototype. Now i make it clear, adding some extra function and now i get between 0,5 ms - 6 ms scan time. Is it good ? I am still improving it, thanks and regards.

I think getting it down to half a ms from 30ms is excellent!
Yes, sometimes scan time is going up, (like a pulse) but generally working around 0.50-1 ms.

I added something like filters. For example, if a hopper have less produce than %45 of target weight of a hopper, skip it.

And i deleted 5 hopper combination. Because it makes it 15 ms around. If you say it is okay, thank you. I will see what can i do with this project. Maybe i can find a new job lol