Wondering how to convert this number to decimal 8.313452e+07

Rob S.

I'm working with SLC 500 Data File. I have a few numbers like 8.313452e+07 . I forget , how do you convert these numbers .

Thanks so much.

It's scientific notation. Move the decimal point "+07" places to the right.

EDIT: I had it backerdz at first. The "+" means make it bigger (move the decimal to the right). If it were e-07, it would mean make it littler by moving the decimal place to the left seven places...

Last edited:
Related to this previous post.......

I have a customer that has a data file with product codes. I would like to put them on a display I am working on. I have the following issue related to scientific notation concerning the "e" in this number. 8.313083e+07.

This is what I have........

Customers product sheet. 83130834
SLC 500 Data File F41:40. 8.313083e+07
FactoryTalk View Numeric Display. 83130832 ( Direct connection to F41:40 )

Why would this not come out to 83130834 , and what does the "e" have to do with it ?

Thanks so much.

Floating point is not a good choice for product numbers. Floating point rounds the number, only a certain number of digits will be maintained accurately. This is fine for calculations, bad for identification numbers. Since you are in a SLC500, you could use two integers 9999 + 9999 to get 8 digits reliably. Or, you could use a string (my preference). However, if there are a lot of codes, strings will chew up a lot of memory.

Last edited:
Thanks . What does the "e" actually stand for ? I understand the 7 means to move the decimal point over 7 spaces. But what about the "e" ?

Thanks in advance.

One more question concerning this. Can you use a MOV to move a floating number ( F41:4 example ) into a integer ( N7:65 example ) ?

Thanks

Can you use a MOV to move a floating number ( F41:4 example ) into a integer ( N7:65 example )

Yes - if the integer portion of the float is within the range of the integer (-32768 up to + 32767). You will only get the integer portion. Check on rounding.