Keyence Safety Laser Enclosure

JZerb

I’ve seen a few on here use the Keyence area laser scanner and was wondering if anyone has put these inside of an enclosure with success. Or any other brand safety area laser scanner for that matter. Like using these things but they don’t really like water, go figure. This issue tends to lead to customers placing them in less then perfect places for the best overall safety setup, just so they don’t get ruined with water.

I have put the top part in an enclosure to protect it from being damaged. We had an incident where it was struck and the LCD was damaged. I used one of those poly carbonate enclosures from Automationdirect with a clear cover so you can see the display.

Ive never tried putting the whole unit in that enclosure. I don't know if it would mess up the laser, it will limit its field of view by a lot.

Mike

ab makes laser area scanners, i'm not sure about the ip rating of all of them.
you will have trouble if you put a clear window in front of the laser. the laser will see the glass, lexan, surface and that will be it. in addition, when the enclosure window gets dirty, it will also trip the area scanner.
james

ab makes laser area scanners, i'm not sure about the ip rating of all of them.
you will have trouble if you put a clear window in front of the laser. the laser will see the glass, lexan, surface and that will be it. in addition, when the enclosure window gets dirty, it will also trip the area scanner.
james

the two real culprits ive seen kill these lasers thus far is water, from a high pressure hose so that should have been a no-no by even a remotely sane human being, and any sort of alcohol based cleaners. Thus why I would like to get something where I can mount them in a SS enclosure and have a slit for the laser itself. Even if something has to be fabricated with a curved front to allow the maximum amount of laser to get through zone coverage wise.

I've never used them in a wet environment, but the area laser scanners I've used are IP65 rated, so they should be able to handle water jets. Is the problem with device failure or false detections?

I've never used them, but Sick has a new scanner that uses radar instead of light:
https://www.sick.com/us/en/opto-electronic-protective-devices/safe-radar-sensors/safers/c/g546518
I think a few other manufacturers make similar products.

Those Sick scanners look neat. Which brand do you use that are IP65 rated?

According to the documentation, the Keyence SZ and SZ-V scanners are IP65:
https://www.keyence.com/products/safety/laser-scanner/sz-v/specs/

That's why I was curious if you had device failure problems or false trips.

I have also used Sick, Leuze, Sti, and Allen Bradley. Some of them have been in dirty environments, but none in wet. I relatively sure all of them claim to be IP65.

The Keyence SZ-V series has worked best for me and my customers by not detecting mist or dust and false tripping.

According to the documentation, the Keyence SZ and SZ-V scanners are IP65:
https://www.keyence.com/products/safety/laser-scanner/sz-v/specs/

That's why I was curious if you had device failure problems or false trips.

I have also used Sick, Leuze, Sti, and Allen Bradley. Some of them have been in dirty environments, but none in wet. I relatively sure all of them claim to be IP65.

The Keyence SZ-V series has worked best for me and my customers by not detecting mist or dust and false tripping.

I have had more then a few issues of having powder fall from a spinning vessel that comes to the floor and is interpreted by the laser as a large enough object that it trips the zone.

It seems my only killers have been either ISO being used to clean the plastic lens that the laser views through, easy fix as long as the customer has a new lens on hand.

Or them getting sprayed down by the room cleaning crews with a high pressure hose.