ladder logic program

Okay, here is1 more Elevator simulator Excel spreadsheet, "ElevatorR2.xls" (the LAST one, I promise). I have debugged it and changed the Macro commands. Now, if you enter your floor number (put a "1" in one of the 12 Pushbutton cells, then push the new RUN button (or Ctrl R), then the "DOOR" closes, and the "CAR" takes off moving! 🍻

Last edited:
has anyone ever used the ladder logic program called GMWIN3.62.
if any one has, does any one no where i could find a manaul for it or some help with is funtions.

Greetings Lancie1,
Please, Can you to provide me the schematic or ladder diagram of that Otis elevator, 1956 version with relay control?.
Best regards

Oswaldus,

I am sorry that I do not have a copy of the schematic. I made the spreadsheet program from the original 1956 schematics, which I checked out of the Army drawing vault, and had to return them after a week. That site has since been dismantled and all materials destroyed.

You could take the Boolean equations for each spreadsheet cell and reverse-engineer the original schematic ladder rungs. Each cell represents one rung of the original schematic. Items with "OR" between them are in series on a rung branch, while items with "AND" between them are on parallel branches of the rung.

Thanks for your reply.
Please, Can you help me with an small example?
Could you to tell me, Which are the cells for:
1-6 floor up hall call?
1-6 floor car call?
Arribal sensors?
Elevator's directions?
Elevator's floor stopping?
Elevator's positions?
Elevator's speed change?
Door open/close control?
etc,.
Thank you ahead of time.
Kind regards.

Last edited:
Hey, arfo... (no mis-spelling there... it is as intended)

Can you say... "Would you like Fries with that order, Ma'am?"

If you don't come back and show some serious effort then all I can say is...

You represent the squalor and slime of your generation.

SHAME ON YOU!

Wow... hostile much? What had Arlo done prior to this post to deserve this evisceration? Obviously something followed it, but Phil has edited that out of existence.

If this was the reaction I got on my first post, I certainly would not return...

Wow... hostile much? What had Arlo done prior to this post to deserve this evisceration? Obviously something followed it, but Phil has edited that out of existence.

If this was the reaction I got on my first post, I certainly would not return...

arfo started this thread 5 years ago and has not been back sense.

So it looks like he took your advice.

evisceration? I'm not an engineer so I had to look that up.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/evisceration

Last edited:
And he didn't, at least under that name. The post was in February of 2005. Terry Woods was known for "no holds barred" observations. Though the reception of those who show no effort or feedback remains about the same - though not in such colorful language.

Please, Can you help me with an small example?

Yes, here is an example of how to re-convert a Boolean equation in the Elevator spreadsheet back to its original ladder logic rung (one part of the original electrical schematic).

To convert Relay T69, spreadsheet cell Z12, to ladder logic rung:

T69: =AND(A29,OR(Y25,AND(Z25,NOT(Q8))))

| |
| A29 Y25 T69 |
|---| |---+---| |---------+---( )---|
| | | |
| | Z25 Q8 | |
| +---| |---|\|---+ |

Could you to tell me, Which are the cells for:
1-6 floor up hall call? Cells C18, C15, C12, C9, C67, C3

1-6 floor car call? With car on 1st Floor, cells G18, H18, I18, J18, K18, L18. These buttons are named variables CPB1 to CPB6 in the spreadsheet, so move and change locations as the car moves. With car at 2nd floor, the floor call buttons are cells G15, H15, I15, J15, K15, L15.

Arrival sensors? These are floor switches 1f, 2f, 3f, 4f, 5f, 6f.

Elevator's directions? Travel direction determined by "Up" and "Down" relays at cell positions U6 and W6. When U6 is energized (relay TWO at cell S20 is ON), the elevator wil go up, and when W6 is energized, the elevator will go down (after door closes).

Elevator's floor stopping? It will stop on the next floor where there is an active button. This is determined by the "Selector" relay indicator in cells U7 to U12, an electro-mechanical relay controlled by the floor button presses. Next floor selected is indicated by the large electro-mechanical drum relay called "Selector" at cell range U7 to W12. There is no transparent way to simulate this type of relay, so I wrote two MACRO commands (Ctrl P moves Selector UP 1 floor, Ctrl M moves Selector down 1 floor) simulates moving the selector indicator of the relay (which normally is moved by the drum relay).

Elevator's positions? Car location is shown by normally closed limit switches Car Location 1,2,3,4,5,6 (cells O35, P36, Q35, R35, S35, T35) If a switch is OFF (Open), it indicates that the car is on that floor.

Elevator's speed change? This elevator only has one speed. When it gets near the floor position, a timer controls the braking action.

Door open/close control? If relay 43, cell R16, is energized, the door closing routine will start. If relay 44, cell P16, is energized, the door opening routine will start.

Last edited:
Lancie1, Thanks for your help.
Now I have clear the matter. I will try to convert the spreadsheet equations.
Kind regards

Cells from A to O are empty in my spreadsheet.
I have equations in cells from Q to AB only.
That is to say, I don't have equations C18, C15, C12, C9, C67, C3;1f, 2f, 3f, 4f, 5f, 6f; P36,etc.
What it can be happening?
My excel is 2002 version.
Regards

Oswaldus,

I am glad that those cells are "empty". They should not have any equations. Cells that represent pushbuttons or switches do not have equations, but simply contain a "1" (ON) or "0" (OFF).

Cells from A1 to O20 are the elevator "car", a simulation of the elevator as it moves up and down. It contains the Floor Call Pushbuttons and the Car Call Pushbuttons. The simulated "buttons" are cells that you set to "1" (type in a "1" and press enter) if you want the car to come to that floor. When the car arrives that floor, the "button" (cell location for button) will be reset to "0" to simulate that the button is no longer active (lighted).=

Here is the way that I set up the Elevator Simulator spreadsheet: pushbuttons, limit switches, door position switches, and car position switches are represented by cells, one cell for each physical switch oe pushbutton. When a specific switch should be ON (because of car or door position), then macro program sets that switch cell equal to "1". When a switch should be off the macro program sets the cell for that switch to "0" for OFF.

The floor and car pushbuttons are cells that you enter the button press maually by typing in a "1" if you want that button to be active or ON. The 6 Car Pushbuttons CPB1 to CPB6 serve two functions (multiplexed). While the car is stopped, the center horizontal row of cells in the "car" serve as Car Floor Pushbuttons, so that if someone"enters" the car and sets one of the buttons to "1", then the door will close and the car should move to the floor selected. After a button is pushed, the function of the horizontal row ofr 6 cells changes to be a door closing indicator. As the door closes (controlled by a timer), the buttons change to "X". When all 6 cells show " X X X X X X ", then the door is closed. By doing these two duties for these same 6 cells, I was able to keep the car two rows smaller, so that all of the elevator could be simulated and seen easily on ONE screen.

There is a Macro program in the spreadsheet that reads the buttons and moves the On/Off signal for each button to the proper relays.

Last edited:
Terry Woods

Brings back memories.... I used to love the back and forth with Ron and Terry, it made my nights go fast, but this was when I had nothing to do but collect the pay check and fix something once or twice a night ( and why did I quit:sick: )

I wonder if Terry is still lurking