Laptop harness

I use a small Rubbermaid cart. It's narrow enough to fit through small openings or alleyways but large enough to hold the laptop with a mouse to the right. (I hate trackpads)

I was looking for something more like this
That would work...if your wrists and fingers are very flexible, and your belly sticks out far enough to leave room for your wrists between the keyboard and your body!

Last edited:
Lancie1 said:
That would work...if your belly sticks out far enough to leave room for your wrists between the keyboard and your body!

Nothing a few fourth meals @ taco bell can't fix.

Mark Buskell said:
I got one of those small utility carts with a built-in electrical outlet on it. I can load my folding chair, latop and coffee and just wheel them into the plant.

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=556654&D=2%20cart&No=20&Dx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nty=1&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Ntt=cart&N=100000&uniqueSearchFlag=true&Nr=100000&Ntk=all&An=text

Kind of tuff to get on a plane though.

I had an engineer in commissioning some equipment with one of those laptop harnesses and to me it looked clumsy. He was constantly banging it into enclosure doors and taking it on and off so he could bend over to do something. If your just standing back and programming I guess it might be alright.

I have the luxury (or is that sentence) of being in the same plant every day. I use a standard roll around mechanics tool chest. I've got a receptacle with 50' extension cord on it. I also welded in slots to hold a stepping stool on the back which doubles as either a stool or a seat. I put my laptop on top of the chest.

I have every type of cord under the sun with me at anytime along with a multimeter, a portable scope, and various hand tools. It takes a little longer and a little more effort to get to a job with this set up but I never have to go back for tools.

I’ve been thinking about this thread. Maybe we are going about it all wrong. Are not we all tool junkies? (If you’re not then you are in the wrong job.) No matter how miserable an excuse is to justify getting some new cool tools, it’s still an excellent reason by its very nature. I think most of us already have a cordless drill in the tool kit, right? So all we need to do is add just two more cordless tools to the tool kit. That and a couple of 2x4 is all you need to never be without a good secure place to put your laptop. 🍺

DC390K_1.gif
DC612KA_1.gif

Alaric said:

I’ve been thinking about this thread. Maybe we are going about it all wrong. Are not we all tool junkies? (If you’re not then you are in the wrong job.) No matter how miserable an excuse is to justify getting some new cool tools, it’s still an excellent reason by its very nature. I think most of us already have a cordless drill in the tool kit, right? So all we need to do is add just two more cordless tools to the tool kit. That and a couple of 2x4 is all you need to never be without a good secure place to put your laptop. 🍺

DC390K_1.gif
DC612KA_1.gif

I'm sure this will get by the bean counters. Maybe a requisition for support equipment will do the trick.

Ah! 2 empty cable drums are fine. Can always find them on site. Better still - my favourite new toys (I have 4 now so I can connect to 4 PLCs at once) Bluetooth serial ports. I can get really close to where I need to be with the PLC up to 100 metres away. Also can get close to machines with a camera tripod and no cables. That is the biggest bonus.

Cable drums and/or a camera tripod work fine for me.

For taking shop counts the guys roll a laptop around on this contraption we made out of an old office chair.
Pedestal.jpg

Beautiful 'aint it.
:oops:

OK, I have been convinced that the harness is not the way to go. The problem with the chair idea is that my big butt will crumple most portable chairs. I think it is best to just go to a thrift store and buy a chair or TV dinner table that can be sacrificed and not worry about packing it around.