Laptop without PCMIA-slot : connect to Siemens plc

Plc_User

The new laptops don't have pcmia-slots anymore. With the CP5512 pcmia card, it was possible to connect to profibus/mpi anywhere on the network (not only on cpu) and it could be used to search available nodes on the network. I don't know if it was necessary but I also could use it to operate WinCC Flex runtime on a pc.
Now that pcmia-slots are not available anymore, what is the alternative with if possible the same features as stated above?
Express card to pcmia converter? The new usb communication module from siemens (I thought it needed seperate 24V)?
What are your experiences?

DuelAdapter tested and work with CP5512
http://www.duel-systemsadapters.com/?productid=DP-0001

USB/PROFIBUS CP 5711 (6GK1571-1AA00)
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/34780027
Profibus 9.6 kbit/s to 12 Mbit/s
+24 V optional external power supply
The external 24 V power supply covers two application areas:
- The power supply from the USB V2.0 port is not sufficient (power supply of the PC is too weak; USB ports are not designed for 500 mA USB standard)
- PROFIBUS Termination is assured even when the USB cable is disconnected (active supply of the PROFIBUS connection termination)

Last edited:
This is an awesome tool for the Siemens product line. I use this unit on the S7 PLC line (MPI/Profibus), HMI and drives. It uses the Ethernet port on your PC/laptop. It has a nice configuration tool that integrates into the Set PG/PC interface utility.

http://www.deltalogic.de/component/...acturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,32/
d3862a2800118f6eb809a6b98c82308f.jpg

The CP 5711 looks promising, has anyone tried this under VMware or something similar? I really need to retire my 5.5 year old laptop and was thinking of running Step 7 in a virtual machine but I don't know if the drivers will be a problem.

The CP 5711 looks promising, has anyone tried this under VMware or something similar? I really need to retire my 5.5 year old laptop and was thinking of running Step 7 in a virtual machine but I don't know if the drivers will be a problem.

I have the same question. CP5512 is not possible in virtual machine (VMWare) because PCMIA-slot cannot be used there. CP5712 is USB, and USB can be used in VMWare.
I hope I can also use it to run WinCC Flexible Runtime on my laptop (which was possible with CP5512). This brings up another question, is a CPMIA slot usable in anthor virtual machine then VMWare (f.i. Virtual Box)?.
Experiences with CP5712 (and if possible a virtual pc)?
Do I need to connect 24 to CP5712 if I am directly connected to PLC (or only if not)?

Thanks

The CP5711 cannot communicte with S7 200. The older Siemens USB device could communciate with S7 200. So I was thinking of using of that. But my question now is : can there be searched for Profibus nodes on a network as was possible with CP5512?
If that would be possible I am thinking of an older USB-device where I provide 5 V to the module (to be able to connect anywhere on the network).