Laptop

No reason why not except Win 95 is pretty horrible for networking etc. Windows 98 is much better and there is probably no reason why you cannot use it instead of Win 95. Win 98 has been generally considered Win 95 fixed.
Good luck.
beerchug

Thanks Bob, actually it is Win98. My brain and fingers had a miscommunication. (Brain F*rt)
The laptop has been formatted and has no operating system loaded, is it still possible or do I need an operating system on both computers?

Thanks again
Roger

Hi Roger,

In theory, you should be able to get/use a driver from the manufacture with the appropriate software to boot up from a 3-1/4 floppy and install the necessary drivers to get you started. Your card might well have come with such a disk when purchased.

You might also find an old version of DOS to get started and then download a DOS driver to do the same thing.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Hi,

In the past when I didn't have a CD-ROM drive on a computer, I would install LapLink with a floppy and then connect to a desktop that had a CD-ROM drive. Then I would copy the entire CD to a subdirectory on the laptop. Next I would restart the laptop and run the setup file from the subdirectory.
I had one sub-notebook that had neither a floppy or CD-ROM drive that was internal. On it I had to do a remote install of LapLink thru the comm port. Time comsuming for sure but it worked.

Good luck,
Sid

Hi Roger, I misunderstood your problem. With a blank formatted hard disk I am not sure how you will go. Booting from the Win 98 startup disk is not a problem but I do not remember whether it will allow you to network or not.
I guess the best bet may be to install Laplink and give it a go. Preferably an older version that will be able to be used on floppies.
The only other thing I could suggest is to copy the Win 98 CD-ROM to your main computer hard drive and then use HJSplit to break up the files into flopy sized chunks and then reconstitute it into a directory on the laptop hard drive.
HJSplit is a free :confused: ware program that I use all the time. It has never let me down, even with extremely large files. If you want a copy, e-mail me with your e-mail address and I will send it to you.
Regards