Large OIT screen or one with VGA output port

theDave2

The customer is looking for a large screen (>17") for displaying status information to see at some distance. We already have a Unitronics V1040 OIT/PLC on the machine.

The PLC has serial / ethernet ports and speaks Modbus on each.

So we are looking for either an OIT with a very large screen or one with a VGA / HDMI port so we can add a large monitor. As just about every OIT out there speaks modbus, we are not picky as this will have only one screen of info showing temperatures & status.

The Red Lion is a good idea, I've seen them (or equiv. ) at the Ford plant in Michigan.

Unfortunately, the largest one is way too big and the smallest would not have enough resolution for the data we need to display.

We just need to see the information from across a large room, not a football field :oops:

Can you connect to a LAN? Provided that the Data Station or small G3 is connected to the LAN. Then the Data Station and the G3 screens have a web server built-in. I have used the Data Stations mostly for data acq but have tried the web page. If the room has network, wired or wireless, and you have a simple PC with a wide screen monitor that you would only need to use a browser you could view one or more screens that you configure like almost any HMI. No LAN? Run a crossover cable direct. Call the Red Lion guys.

While the idea is a good one, we are trying to avoid using a PC due to the fragility of it - no one available to reload windows or even wanting to trouble shoot a miss-behaving system.

That said, if I do go the PC route, it would be an all-in-one (http://www.industrialimage.net/panelpc.php) with a custom program using a modbus driver (how many of them I have written over the years ...) via serial. Might even make it into a Linux (or DOS) 'Live CD' type system.

Heck, with a G3 ( have used many and aware of the remote screen server) I could even (maybe) use a WebTv type box, ala Pop Corn Hour if I could make it autostart to the right place.

Another thought is to take a Stamp Propeller kit with video card.

If only someone made a HMI with VGA port ..... sigh