Largest PLC-installation?

That's a WHO LOTTA IO. I think the large oil pipelines have it beat though. I'm thinking Iconics big starter project with a Russian Oil pipeline. I may be off, but that's what I remember. Can anyone verify?

Singapore_Mats said:
Is it still the australian mining company with 40.000(?) I/O or have the chinese gigantic powerplant even bigger?

They keep telling me that size doesn't mater, it is performance that counts. So see if you can do more with less I/O.

The question is how many processors does the 40 000 I/O installation use? If multiple processors are used, you could then say that a Company with many plants, who networked all PLCs and interconnected all plants, has one big installation?

40,000 I/O...It sounds like someone REALLY knew what they were doing OR someone really DIDN'T know what they were doing...There's no inbetween with this one guys. :D

Greg

Lol - You know it! I have a special appreciation for that kind of thing after being in Korea for awhile. I'll dig up my personnal blog link that includes pictures of a PC that I bought here (that they assembled). You'll die laughing...

Greg Dake said:
40,000 I/O...It sounds like someone REALLY knew what they were doing OR someone really DIDN'T know what they were doing...There's no inbetween with this one guys. :D

Greg

DCS systems have been managing these big process loads for about 20 years.

Thats one of the reasons Honeywell has such a big installed base - they had pretty much the only system that could handle such big plants.
Of course nowadays Emerson and Yokogawa are taking away alot of these legacy sites from Honeywell and putting their own stuff in. MAybe the yearly 'support fee' of 200-300k that Honeywell demands has something to do with it. :mad:

If you look at the BIG refineries here in the US I'm sure they have I/O into the 10's of thousands and operator stations into the hundreds. The small refineries we have here run around 20-30,000 IO and 50 or so operator stations so I guess I'm not as surprised as folks that spend all their time around PLC installations.