laser distance measuring

tulip

We make a project for sandwich panel plant by s7-300.The conduct of a sandwich panels production line is usually managed by operators,and
there is often that there are differences in production function of the operator to control.The operator with many different tasks to perform, it also happens that the wave moves without noticing and it results in poor quality panels.
The laser serves to measure the distance between the removal of foam and wave, once the distance set by the operator the laser takes over and manages the line speed to maintain a constant position of the wave.That is all.I want to create an offset zone for the information coming from the laser and I want to keep the speed of the tape in this region.Is it possible to solve this problem using pid blocks or is there a simpler solution?do you have any experience or suggestion.Thanks in advance...