Latest software for Panelview building?

LMDAVE

Hi,

It's been forever since I've programmed a panelview station. The last one I did around 2007 we use Panelbuilder 32. We currently have an operating Panelview 1000 that needs to be modified, and all I ahve is the runtime MER file on the system.

What is the latest software used for panelview that can modify these systems. (Given this MER can be backwards edited)

I no longer have any software from back when these systems were made, and it seems Panelbuilder 32 is obsolete.

Thanks,
Dave

The distinction to make here is that the older PanelView 1000 are programmed using PanelBuilder32. The application file is a *.PBA file and the compiled runtime file is a *.PVA file.

If you have an *.MER file, then this is a newer type runtime file and cannot be used with PanelBuilder32. Also, if it is for your 1000 terminal, then this terminal must be a PanelView Plus 1000 minimum.

Older PanelViews - no Plus (PanelView 1000)
Newer PanelViews - Plus added (PanelView Plus 1000)

If it were a very new terminal it could be a PanelView Plus 6 1000 or PanelView Plus 7 1000, for instance. These are just progressions that have occurred while you have been out of the loop, so to speak. I am just making distinctions here so you know what's what when you read different terminal stickers and documents while deciding what software is used with what?

For any PanelView terminals with Plus their applications are now developed using FactoryTalk View Studio software. More specifically, FactoryTalk View Studio Machine Edition. This is not free so you would have to purchase this from your local Rockwell Automation vendor.

Another thing to consider is the MER file...

Even if you get FactoryTalk View Studio, there is no guarantee that the MER file is editable in View Studio.

Why?

Because, depending on the version of firmware the MER is compiled at, and whether the developer of the application selected certain options or not, the MER file may not be restorable to an MED file, which is the equivalent to the PBA file in PanelBuilder32.

MER = Machine Edition Runtime
MED = Machine Edition Development

Unless you specifically know that the MER file is restorable, then this is important to consider.

The latest version (as Widelto has also added now) is FactoryTalk View Studio v8.

Regards,
George

Thanks George/Widlto, that was what I was wanting to know. To be honest, I'm not sure if it's a MER or PBA file yey since we haven't extracted it off the unit yet, I was asked to look for the editing software ASAP, so I wanted to make sure I get the right one. Sounds like FactoryTalk View Studio v8 would be my best bet, but first have to see what I have. Thanks.