Learning by Doing Ch 3 The stepper motor

I See The Tree ??

rsdoran said:
Open the project for the 5/05 then goto I/O configuration and double click on it
ioconfig.jpg

A window will open with I/O modules listed scroll down to the HSTP1 then double click it and it will place it in the I/O list on left.
ioselection.jpg

RON we got as far as above

If you double click on the Stepper module once its in list a property window will open:
advio.jpg

REPLY I have found our mistake. We did not get this screen.

Ignore the fact that its listed in Slot 1 but properties state Slot 3...I was playing around and changed the slot. I assume you are aware that addressing is based on the slot.

Hot dawg I didnt get beat to the punch this time.

RON Well even if you had you dun lit the lite and I see the lite of day.

Eric

Well someone has to be first - as far as I know with binary (computers etc) there are no ties (as in horse racing).

HOWEVER on the bright side I now have double confirmation of my mistake from two reputable competent authorities. It just don get better than that.

Many thanks for taking the time to show me the error of my ways.
It is raining here in Seattle BUT I see the light.

Dan

OK we got the stepper card configured.

In line with 3 steps foward two back
We ran quick n dirty test on stepper motor and tranlater "just to see if we can get motor to move". Worked OK
THEN we noted 28V power supply to translater stepper motor was getting hot. We knew we may have a problem (4 amp supply 7 amp load) but hoped that we could get away with it since motor was not connected to anything.
SO to prevent burning up a power supply, instructor went downstairs and brought up a bigger one -- 60 amp 28 VDC. Kinda like going from a dingy to an aircraft carrier -- but the price is right. Cabinet is huge and HEAVY so it has to be somewhere else -- so now we gotta run about 20' of conductor. Now we gotta put fuses on the power supply - can visualize 14 gage conductors doing a meltdown.

Were gonna get there yet.

Dan Bentler

Update

Well all there is to report on the stepper is a total lack of success and a large amount of frustration.

On other fronts
1. Got rid of job I did not like and did not want.
2. Got job I do want and think I am going to like.
So we are progressing in life.

Back to stepper motor.
We still cannot get the dang PLC to make the stepper motor rotate.
We got module configured.
No error lite,
there is a bit for "config OK" and we do have that.

We checked to see if the motor and translater worked. Used another unit to set up in TTL. Motor ran - awful slow I thought -- but it ran. Now we know we are not trying to get a dead motor or translater to work from the PLC.

This leads us to the conclusion
We DO NOT know how to program this thing to make a stepper motor run.

We do not even know if this combination will work.
This appears to be the first time the instructor has tried this combination.

Even though there are no error lites on the card, we never see a CW or CCW lite come on.

I think the next thing to do is see the guys at North Coast Electric in Seattle and
1. Get confirmation the card is OK
2. Confirm this combination will work -- they have a guy there who previously worked for Slo Syn.
3. Confirm we do not know how to write the program
4. Help us out with writing the program -- maybe??

IF anyone has thoughts on the above 4 items I sure need to hear em.
Dan Bentler

One more try

Am doing this to put it up front to see if I get a response..
I know this is a little specialized and probably too specific for it to be a "general knowledge" situation - fishing for the one guy who has made it work or knows why it wont.

Dan

Success -- At Last

Well we got the thing to run.

It would have helped if someone (uh the student -- but we will not mention names) had set the DIP switches for pulses on the translater correctly. In essence the pulses were set for 400 - when set to 20,000 it ran like a clock.

It was a process of trial and error for both me and instructor.

Now that we have it running I can see how it works prgram wise and see how changing a parameter changes the performance.

Because I got so few responses on how to make this unit and the PLC work together am I correct in concluding these are a pain in the neck to setup?

I thank all who responded with help on how to get the configuration setup for the card. I cannot believe how poorly the AB manual is written.

One more time -- thanks to all for the help
Dan Bentler