Light Curtain Machine Reset?

No OSHA doesn't. Most of my systems are auto reset. Because NO motion is initiated after the light curtains are clear. If you had motion initiated I would definitely do a manual reset.

No OSHA doesn't. Most of my systems are auto reset. Because NO motion is initiated after the light curtains are clear. If you had motion initiated I would definitely do a manual reset.

That’s the thing I’m struggling with. After the operator clears the light curtain, part of the reset cycle would be to return the press to the home position.

OK just program it that way.
If you break the LC during the down stroke. Stop motion.the light curtains cleared and reset. Then initiate motion either continue downward or return. Just make it part of the program.

Frustratingly, I often find that OSHA doesn't specify. If you directly ask them a question, you will often get a copy of a letter they gave some one else for something similar to your question...which is nice, but often doesn't really answer your specific question.

Anyway, to me a light curtain is a safety device. If it is part of an E-Stop Circuit, it will trip the E-stop circuit. The light curtain can automatically reset - the E-stop circuit should be manually reset.

If it is not part of the E-Stop circuit, rather just a safety circuit, I beleive it can automatically reset provided the reset doesn't introduce a safety risk. For instance, can I walk through the light curtain, which will stop the machine, but then get on the "inside" of the curtain and have the machine start up while I'm inside? Maybe not the best example, but my point is to think through the different scenarios that could happen and make sure that an automatic reset can't get some one hurt. Otherwise, I see no issue with it.

Last thought - check to see if there are codes out there for your type of equipemnt that may regulate you otherwise. I would think that ANSI or some body out there has regulations on presses. I know there are specifications for mills and other processes.