Linear actuator

aand74

We are looking for using a linear actuator, with stroke of 780 mm, with
force of 2000 to 10000 N, and powered by 24V.
It has to be industrial rated.
Preferably with a bus system like ethernet, ethernet IP, profinet, ethercat, etc.
I see most types have the Can bus option, if so ok, but a bus system like stated above would be a real plus.

I've used a lot of the SMC range.

LEFSH32REH-800B-C91

https://www.smc.eu/en-eu/products/battery-less-absolute-encoder-type-lefs~165537~cfg

They have a rod type, not slide type, but in that range they are AC servo at 240V.

I've used Ethernet/IP and IO-Link to control them, and they have sample RSlogix files if that's what you're going to use.

The other ones I've seen in industry are IAI actuators, this was 10 years ago and they were an old install then, but they weren't as nice to work with. Perhaps the modern day interface is better.

Last edited:
The LEY range peaks at 1KN, you may have to go AC to get the 10KN or try a different manufacturer. Some of their ranges only go to 500mm stroke.

I second that you should try SMC with their Ethernet and Ethercat options. Just be wary that when they sell a slide and controller, the controller firmware is tied to that specific unit (the size, drive, motor, length, etc). so if you try to use it on a different item, it will work but may not configure correctly.

If you need to do a lot around a plant then getting their reconfigurable units that let you change firmware, may work out.

My tech support in the UK changed an LEF controller to LER (rotary), for free. Just had to wait 2 weeks, but it was for R&D so not an issue.

Last edited: