Linear Actuator Control

Johnny Rotten

I have a SMC Linear actuator rated at 24vdc. 2 wires, do I assume I apply 24vdc to make it go one way, and reverse polarity to make it go the other? I don't know much about them. Do I control torque by controlling voltage?

John

Smc lzbb3l-100a3.

Our millwright ordered it without the controller or anything, I just wanted one to play with. All the instructions refer to a controller but I wanted to perhaps make one myself. Two wire - blue and red to the motor. Rated at 24vdc.

IMG-20130920-00158.jpg

Last edited:
I believe the SMT electric cylinders are usually being used connected to a SMT LC3F2 directional control driver sized up according to the respective cylinder's motor size.
See pages 20-23 of
http://content2.smcetech.com/pdf/LZ.pdf
There isn't much information out there, however, the LC3F2 is a simple DC drive which provides user control inputs (including thrust command switching between 100% and a user set value) and motor protection.

That's perfect. I suppose I'm going to make my own control driver and control the pulse width (time) of applied power depending on where a certain process deviates from a set-point. Time to play!

It is not spring return, and as the motor is permanent magnet, shorting the two leads together makes it hold - much better than not shorting them - puts motor in regen.

Will keep you updated - thanks and Happy Friday!!!