Link to MicroLogix 1500 to ENI module

tomfarvour

Hi all,

We have discovered a really interesting phenomenon with our MicroLogix 1500 and our ENI module. It seems to be working fine, but out of the blue, the DF1 link between the ML1500 and the ENI module "disaapears". We have no way of remotely getting the link back online.. although we can connect to the remote ENI interface to see some info. The only way to restablish the link is to reset the breakers to both the ML1500 and the ENI module and reset them basically... then everything works.

ANybody know why this might be happening? Is there anything I can do automagically so that this doesn't keep happening?

We are considering using the CompactLogix series instead of the ML1500 because of the inability to do online edits, as well as the slow bus speed between the ENI and the ML1500.

Basically, if you can answer my two questions, or if we should just consider upgrading to the CompactLogix series of processor? There is a $2,000 price tag difference I think for our application.

Thanks a lot!

You might want to take a look at the Micrologix 1100. It will allow you to do online edits and it has an ethernet port that may let you do away with ENI module - depending upon what you are connecting to.

James Mcquade said:
i need more info.

what is the eni module connected to?
what is communicating with the micrologix 1500?
is the eni module connected to an external power supply?

regards,

james

The ENI is simply connected to a switch, the switch has a router connected so we can get to it remotely here just to monitor data tags. It is a ML1500 that it is connected to... LRP Series C. I contacted A-B tech support and they told me to force the baud rate to 19200 to match the Channel0 configuration. I had it on Auto before. I'm going to see if this corrects the problem.

To answer your other question, it is connected to an external power supply and it is grounded properly.

the reason i asked was to see what was communicating to the 1500.

the eni module can only handle 6 ports of ethernet communications packets (2 in, 2 out, and 2 can be either way).

a panelview plus terminal requires 5 of the 6 for example.

regards,
james