MicroLogix 1100 Modbus RTU radio link

To be fair, getting around 32 sites in a minute isn't bad going. That's only 2 seconds per site. If you have reliable links to all sites then you might be able to halve that, but going any faster will likely get you into issues.

This problem is one of reasons why DNP3 protocol, with timestamped events, was invented. Log the important stuff when it changes, and report it back less regularly. A large portion of the "bits on the wire" for a typical MSG between PLCs is TCP overhead.

Ethernet radios are great, because you can build a properly routed network, and you are essentially not tied to one protocol. I have ML1400s talking on the same channel as DNP3 RTUs, I can go online to both over the air, plus manage a device with an HTTP config.

You are still severely bandwidth limited, so you do need to v factor that in. It's not like it's a 100Mb/s link to each site.

You could still keep the PLC connections in your network serial, but modernize the radios. The serial connectivity on the Trios can use UDP, which makes it faster.

To be fair, getting around 32 sites in a minute isn't bad going. That's only 2 seconds per site. If you have reliable links to all sites then you might be able to halve that, but going any faster will likely get you into issues.

This problem is one of reasons why DNP3 protocol, with timestamped events, was invented. Log the important stuff when it changes, and report it back less regularly. A large portion of the "bits on the wire" for a typical MSG between PLCs is TCP overhead.

Ethernet radios are great, because you can build a properly routed network, and you are essentially not tied to one protocol. I have ML1400s talking on the same channel as DNP3 RTUs, I can go online to both over the air, plus manage a device with an HTTP config.

You are still severely bandwidth limited, so you do need to v factor that in. It's not like it's a 100Mb/s link to each site.

You could still keep the PLC connections in your network serial, but modernize the radios. The serial connectivity on the Trios can use UDP, which makes it faster.

I think it's really more like 90 seconds as opposed to a minute, but you're right, that's still ~3 seconds per site. Some actually take longer than that but then others breeze right through so it seems to average out. I think we're going to broach the subject with the municipality and put the bug in their ear to consider an upgrade.