LinkedIn

Should there be a PLCs.net group on LinkedIn?

• Sure, every opportunity to get better known should be used

Votes: 30 41.7%
  • No, I don't see the advantages

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • It doesn't matter. PLCs.net is good as it is.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • What the hell is LinkedIn?

Votes: 21 29.2%

• Total voters
Experience

I agree that experience is much more important. But still, this gives not the right to use titles like Bachelor or Engineer. And I know some company's just give names to the function and not in relation to what has been studied. A Bachelor can also do the job of a "Project Engineer", but is it right to place Project Engineer on the business card then or not ? It's kinda fake to my eyes. Even if the experience is 30x times a master degree.

I dont have a degree and appreciate some people worked hard to get theirs.

Having said that I agree it is wrong to misrepresent yourself but of course words mean diferent things in different countries..... my washing machine would be repaired by the 'service engineer' and the lifts at the local shops are maintained by the 'lift engineer' who dont have degrees (generally speaking)

I could get complete mine with 1 yr of hard study but have been working in 3 different jobs that were advertised as 'degree qualified' for over 10 years... my work experience and on the job knowledge is just as /more than important than a bit of paper.

I intend to finish mine in a few years but between working for a living and seeing my kids it is low on the priorities..

Here in the UK it has been common for people to do apprenticeships and HNC/D courses followed by years of working their way up through various career paths. In my experience degreed engineers tend to be found in the larger employers (automotive /govt /petro chem /pharma) etc

btw my job title has the word engineer in it.........

Cheers

Last edited:
Sorry to have offended you, I'll change it as soon as possible. I just used the term Bachelor because outside Belgium it is well known while B1 isn't. And by the way, bachelor isn't a degree, the degree is Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science and some others but always with some terms attached to the term Bachelor.

No, it isn't an ego page, this is just what I've been doing with my life. If you find it ego that I have done more than you can believe, then that says more about you than about me. LinkedIn is a social networking site where it is purpose to say what you've been doing.

By the way, with 30 years of experience in the field and teaching Bachelors and Masters (of all levels available in Belgium), I don't really care any more about titles.

Regards,

Trainer nautical sector
Trainer PLC/SCADA
Webcoach intro telemaintenance

Wow, your list is getting longer and longer :geek: :geek: :geek: