Linking PLCs to PC - can anyone offer advice?

Sal123

Hello, I’m looking for some advice about getting our PLCs to remotely communicate with my office PC.
Our PLCs are types FX3U and FX2N.
Can you advise on the best module to add to each PLC to allow them to communicate with the PC?
Is there a program I can install on my computer that will work with the data from the PLCs in a user-friendly way?
It’s a big ask I am sure but I am looking for a program that will log all the PLCs’ alarms in a database and automatically send SMS/emails to the appropriate staff when alarms go off.
The PLCs have been running for years but we’re new to the idea of communicating with them and saving data etc. Any advice about hardware/software/how you would do it etc would be gratefully received.

What do you mean by remote? Is this within the same building?

One of the quickest methods of communicating would be to use a free package like AdvancedHMI. It is written in VB.Net and runs within visual studio. Sending SMS and emails can be done easily.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedhmi/

http://dl.mitsubishielectric.com/dl/fa/document/manual/plc_fx/jy997d16901/jy997d16901n.pdf
Your PLC's will communicate Modbus. You will use the software as a Modbus master (Client) and communicate to the Modbus slaves (PLC) (Server).

Regards,

It sounds to me like you are wanting something in the line of a "SCADA" system. If so you would want to look at "Ignition" (Inductive Automation).

Now if what you are wanting is a way to get the Plc(Tag Values) written to a database back at your office so you can do things according to the tag value. I might approach
this by using MQTT.

Something you might want to check out.

Hello, I’m looking for some advice about getting our PLCs to remotely communicate with my office PC.
Our PLCs are types FX3U and FX2N.
Can you advise on the best module to add to each PLC to allow them to communicate with the PC?

How are you communicating to them now? you can add a CC Link module or Ethernet, if your just using the Mini Din 8 for comms not I would look into adding Ethernet

FX2NC-ENET-ADP is the Ethernet Mod

After you get the hardware there are several SCADA's that you can use

Thanks everyone for your replies. I really appreciate the advice and I have a good idea of how to progress now using the Ethernet mod and a SCADA system.
Regards, Sally

May I suggest that you define what your needs are.
plc's to pc
data acquisition?
alarming?
emails?

you need to define what you need first, then see what's out there and if they can do what you need.
otherwise, you get a scada / hmi package that may not meet your needs and have to start all over.

james