Local Mixer Speed Control

Martindag

Heya,

For one of my projet i building a control panel for 4 industrial mixer

i got 2 mixer that run on the same speed so its no big deal, simple ON/OFF control.

But the 2 other got VFD and the operator need to adjust the speed infront these mixer and need something like a potentiometer to decide which 0-100% speed suit the best for his mix.

Im planning to have possibly a Micrologix 1400 PLC on my panel,

Do you have any recommendation on what could be the best option
for this type of local input speed that would directly

So far i was looking to simulate a potentiometer into 4-20ma using resistor but still i was looking around if there could be other option more plug and play...

I wouldn't think you "need" a PLC for this task. You can use the VFD's control wiring. Rather than "simulate" you could use an actual pot you mount in a KO on the cabinet door and varies the 4-20mA straight to the drive.

This would cut down on cost to the customer as well. The only exception would be if the PLC is a customer requirement or if there is some advanced monitoring/tracking/control you need to do with one.

I agree with Sparkie. If it's possible I would just run a cable back to each drive for the potentiometer. I don't see any reason to include the PLC in this unless there's something I'm missing??

the problem my cabinet is a little far and my operator specificly asked to have the analog control on the mixer directly to see himself the batch and the speed he need.

i searched a little bit, adding on my tiny local control box a pot connected to these OMEGA TX802P Potentiometer Transmitter. could do the job ?

ohhhh... ok i get it yeah... use a analog input on the drive directly that can take a pot
rather than going in my PLC and after that going to the drive. I guess it would be more simple and simply redistribute my speed into my PLC

Good stuff yeah but will go with schneider product like XB4BD912R10K
most of my control are Schneider and Weidmuller stuff and i like them.

The drive will be mounted inside the cabinet yes

I will get a metal control box nema4 with a Start, Stop , E-Stop and the potentiometer

For the one without drive i will get a 3 button box instead of 4 i guess.

the closest mixer is like 5 feets away and the fartest is 35 feets from the main cabinet.

Good stuff yeah but will go with schneider product like XB4BD912R10K
most of my control are Schneider and Weidmuller stuff and i like them.

The drive will be mounted inside the cabinet yes

I will get a metal control box nema4 with a Start, Stop , E-Stop and the potentiometer

For the one without drive i will get a 3 button box instead of 4 i guess.

the closest mixer is like 5 feets away and the fartest is 35 feets from the main cabinet.

35 feet is no big deal for a speed control. The manual will tell you what size pot to use for speed reference.

Ah true, just saw my 2 drive seem to need a different Ohm good thing you mentioned it ! thanks !

Quick question, what if most of the Eaton and Schneider Potentiometer you can get water proof are 10k but my drive need a 20k ?

im guessing its gonna be more complicated than adding a 10k resistor ?

Last edited:
Ah true, just saw my 2 drive seem to need a different Ohm good thing you mentioned it ! thanks !

Quick question, what if most of the Eaton and Schneider Potentiometer you can get water proof are 10k but my drive need a 20k ?

im guessing its gonna be more complicated than adding a 10k resistor ?

Are you trying to scale voltage or current? Voltage would be what you would want to scale.

You may have to go with a different manufacturer.

There are a lot of factors to consider with a job like this as well. Perhaps you may want to consult a local controls guy or electrician on this one.

Last edited: