Logix 5000 GSV - Tag Value for Instance Name

AMarks95

Is there any way to use a tag value in the Instance Name field?

I would like to have an array of strings with my module names that I can loop though to check for faults, rather than have a line for each module. Or, it would be great if I could access the modules via the array index shown in the controller organizer window. I'm thinking it's not possible but wanted to check here first.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I don't think you can do this.

The instance field needs a specific entry. It does not appear to support a variable.

Also, the "name" is provided for us to make it easier for us to identify the module. The controller does not actually use the name though. You would need the instance for each module. Every module has a unique DINT that identifies an instance number. You would need an array of DINTs with each modules specific instance. You can retrieve that also with a GSV.

Interesting idea. I have always just had a GSV for each module. In addition to varying the Instance, you would probably also want to vary the destination. But that is much easer to do.

Interested if anyone has had success trying this.

OG

Use excel to write repetitive code. You can copy a rung as text to get the syntax, then use excel to make a giant string containing all the logic in text form. Paste the giant string into the editor and logix will convert it back into ladder.